Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Cab mount question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by LeWhite
Dont you dare ever weld a grade 8 bolt ĦEVER! Do you under stand!
Haha I do it oops

Old 10-01-2013, 08:25 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Haha I do it oops
it loses "some" strength, but even with that strength lost, it would still be about as hard as a grade 5 nut.. from what I am reading.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Yeah it has the possibility to loose strength and Le is right in a lot of cases (professional world) it wouldn't be acceptable but for your situation I don't see why it would be of any harm.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:31 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Yeah it has the possibility to loose strength and Le is right in a lot of cases (professional world) it wouldn't be acceptable but for your situation I don't see why it would be of any harm.
Thats what I was thinking. I am just going to do it, no other options in this case, I am not cutting a hole in the rocker to get a wrench on them to tighten them down, or drilling a hole in the floor, or anything of that nature which would be an extra step.
And weld nuts, i was looking at those, but they all look so weak to me, does not look like it would be any different than welding a grade 8.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah just get a good tall nut with lots of threads for your bolt to grip and do quick spot welds with breaks in between allowing the weld to cool and not build up a ton of heat and you will be gooder dan grits!!

Old 10-01-2013, 10:06 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Grade 5 bolt can be welded. Where did the 'some say you can' get their info from. Certainly wasnt the AWS manual or machinerys handbook. I guess if a crack is considered loosing strength then yeah its weaker . I realise that many here are from the farm implement crowd and dont know any better. But now YOU know.

Last edited by LeWhite; 10-01-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:37 PM
BF Veteran

You are right, I am from a farm, I have a huge 100 acre farm in the middle of minneapolis LOL!

But thanks for all the help guys, knowing grade 5 can be welded safely, I will be getting some of those. What ever works

now a quick question, what would be the best way to keep the nut lined up and straight. I have read that using the bolt to keep it in place and straight could cause problems with the expanding and shrinking and screw up the threads.
I have read that people have whittled down a piece of wood to thread the nut on, then it stops the splatter from getting on the threads, and then there would be no problem messing up the threads.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LeWhite
Grade 5 bolt can be welded. Where did the 'some say you can' get their info from. Certainly wasnt the AWS manual or machinerys handbook. I guess if a crack is considered loosing strength then yeah its weaker . I realise that many here are from the farm implement crowd and dont know any better. But now YOU know.
Haha your funny!! Not trying to start a war here but are you calling farmers dumb? I grew up on a farm milking cows and driving tractors for 21 yrs and then I became an aircraft machinist for several years after that so I have been on both sides. You are correct that welding on grade 8 hardware will change its properties but I have never once seen it cause the hardware itself to crack. I have however seen the weld crack due to improper weld technique and poor penetration.

Again in most cases it is considered unacceptable to weld to "hardened" hardware but if your not in the industry world and use a few simple steps to ensure things are done properly a few tack welds on a grade 8 nut to hold it in place to tighten a body mount aren't going to hurt anything.

As for holding it in place for welding if you can put a bolt thru the hole with some washers on the back side to keep everything lined up you should be good to go. Just tighten the bolt but don't over tighten and make quick tack welds while letting it cool between welds. What you have read about messing up the threads is/can be correct but again if you do things correctly you will be ok. You can use a wet rag or compressed air to help speed the cooling process but be sure to get any water off dried before making the next weld. I'm sure someone will disagree with this as well but its worked just fine for me countless times so I'm not going to stop doing it!

Old 10-02-2013, 01:33 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Not trying to flame anyone. Just trying to raise the intelect of our blazer community. You must know there is a difference between a tractor wheel coming off and planes falling out of the sky. Hope the cab stays fastened to the chassis wether tractor or blown fuel hydro. I just dont want any mistakes qualified by "I didnt know any better"

Old 10-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I know the difference and do appreciate looking out for members as well!

Quick Reply: Cab mount question