Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

clear coat chipping off the doors

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 03:00 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road
Default clear coat chipping off the doors

for the last year, ive noticed big spots of clear coat literally chipping and coming off of the drivers door and read door. the other side it completely fine. i wash and wax using car wash (not dish soap). when it rains really hard, it bubbles up and when it dries out it chips off as i drive. its right under the weather stripping under the window. does anyone else have this problem or know how to stop it?

Old 06-09-2013, 03:27 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

ive seen this happen a lot, once its started its really hard to stop it, your best bet would be to get all the flaking clear off, and get a can of clear and spray a fresh coat over the area.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:23 PM

any suggestions on what can of clear i should get? and would i do just the affected areas and and tape off the rest?

Old 06-09-2013, 10:06 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

try to find a good automotive clear, rattle can would be easier, best results would come from using a 2 part urethane out of a touchup brush.
as for how to do it
carefully take off all peeling clear coat, then lightly scuff the clear coat that is in good shape around it, i would say about 2-3" around the area with 1000 grit sand paper, then tape off your window, dont tape off the paint around, that way you can spray the effected area, and the over spray will allow you to feather it to blend into the rest of the clear better with some 2000 grit wet sand paper.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:25 PM

great info thank you! going to look into clears an check into reviews

Old 06-09-2013, 10:32 PM
BF Veteran

not a problem, good luck.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 PM

naturally i found myself at walmart, i got the 1000 and 2000 wet sand paper. and im pretty sure i got the right stuff... its rust-oleum automotive enamel gloss protective clear coat. its got the rattler in it
Rust-Oleum Auto Enamel Spray: Automotive : Walmart.com i got it in gloss clear.

is this the right stuff?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:52 PM
BF Veteran

Enamel dries SUPER hard, so that is a good thing to get, I like that or urethane, the only down side for enamel, is it takes a bit longer to fully setup. but as long as nothing touches it (lucky it is on the side of the truck and not on the roof or the hood)
I think you should be good there (another good choice with the enamel as well)
you can spray enamel over over lacquer base paint, you can spray urethane over any paint, you could even clear coat bubble gum with that stuff LOL
with Lacquer, you can only spray that stuff over other lacquer
I am pretty sure that OEM paint on the blazers is not urethane, its either enamel or lacquer base. Just to make sure, find a small area at the bottom of the truck, spray a dot of the clear down there, and wait 5 minutes, if there is no reaction, you are good to go.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:48 PM

oh thank god when i bought it i started reading it more and the more i thought i got the wrong thing. one more saved trip out. ill have to wait a few days before i try. the weather for the rest of the week aint looking too good. tornado warnings all day tomorrow. should be motivation to clean out the garage lol! once again thank you for the quick and helpful response. as soon as i get clear weather for atleast 2 days, ill post before and afters

Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 AM

i still havent got 2 days where the forecast said no rain. ive been doing research on methods of wet sanding. so many different ones it hard to determine which is method is best. does anyone have a step by step guide of how to do it? also do i and only where the edges of chipped are or the entire surface where there is no longer and clearcoat?

Quick Reply: clear coat chipping off the doors