Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Door/ bumper chrome trim removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:48 PM
JRock1944 is on a distinguished road
Default Door/ bumper chrome trim removal?

Alrighty now, I've got a '96 4 Door blazer in named of a facelift. After taking out some deer and a number of small trees, my grille and front valence are jacked up, and the chrome trim down the side is cracked and broken.

The doors are good, no damage beyond some scratches and such. I want the trim gone, it makes my truck look like ***. I'm going to a Yard this Friday to convert the front end.

Here's the kicker: in respect to the body lines, should I attempt to put NEW chrome trim on it, or just peel it off? I plan on reprinting my blazer flat/ satin black this summer, with a blacked out theme. Will taking the chrome trim off look retarded, or should I get a new strip and simply attempt to paint it later? Expanding foam ought to work in place of the trim, in regards to my future plans, right? I'm new to blazers, so I figured asking you guys would work out better. Here's a pic of what I mean, it's the chrome trim around the fenders and along the middle of the door and bumper.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Chuk Rhodes is on a distinguished road

I have the same trim package, and can't decide either. I want to do either bedliner or undercoat on the lower side. I've thought about just going right over it all! If removed, I would have to remove the remaining glue before coating. And why not leave an extra layer to protect the body?

Browsing the Photo Gallery helps see what it looks like when removed.