Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Door removal/installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Beginning Member
DreezyBeezy is on a distinguished road
Default Door removal/installation

Does anybody have a door removal/installation diagram? my drivers door was hit hard a few months ago, just got a replacement. I am more than mechanically capable of doing this, just have no idea where the stock door hardware goes. The factory spring in the door jam fell out, but I still have it. I will be picking up new door pin bushings as well.

thanks for any help!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:42 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I dont have a how to so much..just past exp.
i used a ladder over the door and hung it from the ladder with a ratcheting tie down...so i could adjust height if need be.
Then i pulled the spring and bushings. ( harbor freight sells a tol for the door spring)
You then need to locate the wireharness either in the door or cab and disconnect everything...on my other projects i chose the interior of the door...less hunting.
i prob should correct myself and say remove the trim panel and harness first before bushings.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Beginning Member

thanks for the idea! that actually sounds like it will work great

any chance I could convince someone to post a picture of where the door meets the hinge so I can get a visual reference?

Old 05-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

It should mirror the other side. That's how I made sure mine was correct when I did my pins.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Beginning Member

Touché

Old 01-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Starting Member
nyguyinva is on a distinguished road
Default Live without Door Spring?

I have a 2001 Blazer, last year I had the door bushings and hinge pins replaced. Door worked great for a year, though noisy as usual. Today the spring fell off and the latch that it holds onto (door side) both fell off. The bushings and hinge pins seem fine.. and now there is no noise. Can I live without the door spring?

Old 01-07-2013, 05:38 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

if you have a flook jack that goes high enough
cut a slot in a 12-18 inch piece of 2X4 length ways
remove stool from jack ,bolt down 2X4 on jack

set door in slot in 2X4 adjust up down and in out on jack wheels

Old 01-07-2013, 05:44 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nyguyinva
I have a 2001 Blazer, last year I had the door bushings and hinge pins replaced. Door worked great for a year, though noisy as usual. Today the spring fell off and the latch that it holds onto (door side) both fell off. The bushings and hinge pins seem fine.. and now there is no noise. Can I live without the door spring?
ok as long as you dont mind the door closing on your leg
I would use a good quality lube on the roller then replace the spring

I have squezzed the spring in the vise and used wire to hold it compressed
hold spring with water pump pliers and cut wire with side cutters
CAUTION that little spring is under a lot of pressure ,I recommend holding at all times with water pump pliers

Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nyguyinva
mine doesnt have door springs on both front doors because the PO changed the bushings and couldnt get the springs back in. PIA!!!

just get them in. i have to buy new ones or go junkyarding because i dont have them at all.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Beginning Member
xtr1c0 is on a distinguished road
Default Front door springs

You can get the front door springs at Rock Auto for about $3.00 and the tool to compress/install it at any auto parts store. Can't remember how much I paid for it but it was cheap too and a big time saver.

Quick Reply: Door removal/installation