Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Driver seat- next project

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 01:06 AM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road
Default Driver seat- next project

Ok, most the operational mechanical issues resolved and thanks again everyone. Now that I can drive the money pit I find the seat uncomfortable. How so you may wonder. Well, I’m 6’6” tall 215lbs (think tall, thin, well proportioned) and while the leg room is fine and I like clothe seats over leather and the extra tall backrest without separate headrest is nice the lower back support is horrid at my height. When repairing the seat recline I noted the lumber is kaput. It looked like it used several wires (like bicycle cable) pulling on a frame and 2 of the 3 I saw were busted. Most the boneyard seats I’ve seen were either in bad shape (couple even had moss and mold growing on them) or what I thought way over priced ($180-$250) range near me. What are the recommended options for this? Aftermarket or different make model and convert to fit? I do not have welding tools myself but have a few friends that could I think. Toss some reasonable ideas my way. Dark Metallic Red 4dr with dark grey cloth interior, black carpet, grey dash. Rather not replace all the seats but seat covers are acceptable option.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:14 PM
Starting Member

Trying lumbar repair. The cable broke midway up back so enough left to splice in new part. Used some 50# picture frame braided wire. To aid in the pull power I ran it back to bottom and up to top again using horseshoe shaped guides (Cub Scout lesson on pulley power). Found both left and right lengthwise brace rods busted at connecting point at top so outset and drilled holes and secured with heavy zip ties and also secured top itself. (Orientation upside down- seat bottom where you sit is my reference to top due to working on it upside down) Tests decent enough. Shall see how it holds up long term.

Attempting to link pictures, I use iPad so trying Imgur app. Cross fingers.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Kl0gaB2

Old 03-08-2019, 07:25 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Nice work, hope it holds out... got side tracked in other pictures on there... especially this one...

Old 03-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Starting Member

That’s a good one. I try not to get sucked in. YouTube bad enough on me for that, look for one thing next I know I’m going down the rabbit hole.