Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Drivers Door Arm Rest All Busted and What Not

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Beginning Member
Joshua1023 is on a distinguished road
Default Drivers Door Arm Rest All Busted and What Not

Hello All. First Post here. I've already gained tons of info from this site just by lurking for the last week or so.

I bought a 2000 Jimmy SLT for my wife. It is in overall good shape, but there is a list of thing I've been working through before I turn the keys over to her. I'm down to the last few items.

The bushings were shot in both front doors and since the drivers door was hanging so bad for so long, the arm rest is broken at both mounting points.

I've attached a picture of the handle to this post if it helps.

I've searched all over for a used door card that will match the grey color of my interior w/ no luck. Ebay has a few that would work, but they are sold as a set and the total comes out to over $200.

After I took the panel off and looked I noticed that the arm rest is held on w/ four screws so I took it off to look for an item number.

Turns out the item number for this part is GM 15726045. (I think) I can order it for just under $100 delivered, but I'm not sure if the color will match.

Sooooo after the long winded story my question is this:

Has anyone come up w/ a nice way to repair this area? I have to think this is a common problem w/ how much force is put on these and how weak this area is. I've thought of trying to plastic weld something back on, but I feel it will fail very quickly unless I can find a way to reinforce it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

Attached Thumbnails Drivers Door Arm Rest All Busted and What Not-imgp0913-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Maurer6156 will become famous soon enough

I would try visiting any scrapyards near you. If you know how to take it off/put it on then it should be no problem finding one of those. Scrapyards usually have good prices depending on how the guys that run it feel. Best bet is to try and get a different one, usually easier if it is attached to the whole door panel.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:49 AM
Beginning Member
Joshua1023 is on a distinguished road

I called all the scrap yards in my area up to an hour away yesterday. I was looking for the whole door panel. None had any in my color. The only other alternative would be to buy one of a different color and paint the arm rest to match, but that seems like a job that is easier said than done........ unless you guys have found an online source for matching vinyl paint for these interiors.