Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Drivers seat bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Starting Member
donald_archer is on a distinguished road
Default Drivers seat bolt

Hello again folks

I am in the process of replacing the front seats in my 98 LS with ones from a 02 Jimmy. On my blazer there are 4 bolts holding the seat frames to the truck floor. One of the bolts is gold/brass colored,hardened and a T50 head . There is one of these on each seat. The passenger bolt came out with out a problem but the driver side is a real bear(so far I have stripped the head of the bolt and ruined 3 T50 sockets. I tried using a breaker bar but it still will not come out.

Any body else removed these? How did you do it?

Let me know if there are any ideas

Regards

Old 06-01-2016, 07:14 PM
Racer_X is on a distinguished road

The tool to use is an "Impact driver". It's like a big screwdriver with a huge metal "handle" part that you hit with a BFH.

Best to start with that, and attach an impact rated T50 bit to it.

Since you've already rounded out the center, do this:

First, drill a small pilot hole down the center maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch. You want something left to start a drill in if the situation gets worse.. Be very careful to keep the bit straight. If you break the bit, you're in even more trouble.

Next, with a cutoff wheel tool, cut a straight slot across the head. It should be wide enough to fit the biggest impact driver straight screwdriver bit in the slot. Cut the slot as deep as you can in the head, but not as deep as the pilot hole you drilled.

Try the impact driver and the big freaking hammer. That should get it.

If it tears up the head even worse, very carefully start drilling the head off like it's a giant, extra hard rivet. Alternatively, use a grinder or the cutoff wheel to behead the bolt. Once you have the head off, try cutting another slot and using the impact driver to get the remaining shaft out. That should be easier without the tension of the tight bolt head.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:32 AM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

I've had to completely drill out most of the ones I've done. Couldn't get any of the other tricks to work. You have to be careful to drill completely straight, right in the center of the bolt so you don't mess up the threads of the floor.

I've replaced them with hex head bolts.

Old 06-02-2016, 03:21 PM
Racer_X is on a distinguished road

Usually, that's the inside bolt, by the tunnel. The reason it's different (stronger, actually) is because that's an anchor point for the seat belts.

For a customer, friend or family member (really, anyone I care about), I'd go to the trouble of getting an exact replacement. Just sayin'.