Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Need battery tray. Aftermarket ones don't fit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 07:58 PM
Shalom is on a distinguished road
Default Need battery tray. Aftermarket ones don't fit.

So the battery tray on my '88 T10 has rusted through, and my Optima Yellow battery is now sitting on the 4wd vacuum controller, if that's what that thing is.

I tried tracking down a new tray, but it seems that the aftermarket ones don't fit if you have a 4.3, because the radiator is wider and the trays don't fit. If you look at the picture on rockauto dot com, for example, if the tray is oriented such that the front edge is away from you, the left (i.e. driver's) side has a diagonal slope before the edge, putting the edge about an inch and a half further into the engine compartment, whereas the OEM tray comes straight down right after the front mounting hole.

I suppose I could find someone with a plasma cutter and slice off the edge, but then there's no lip on that side and the battery could slide around.

So. Does anyone know where I can source the correct tray for this truck, short of going to the dealership and paying big bucks for it? If they even still have them. Note that Keyparts 0870-240 isn't it. Even says so right on the sticker: CV S-10 82-95 BATTERY TRAY EXCEPT 4.3 LTR.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:15 PM
Rusty Nuts is on a distinguished road

I would call local heating & cooling companies and ask them if they make their own sheet metal fittings. If they have a brake they could whip you up a tray cheap and easy. I used to do HVAC work and have sheet metal equipment in my garage. People still have me make unusual things when they need a "tin knocker". Most recently was a funnel with a flange so a beekeeper could suck up bees with his shop vac. Bring them whats left of your rusted tray and have them duplicate it out of at least 24 gauge metal. Clean the surface with vinegar and paint it.

Before anyone asks, no I do not build moonshine stills even if you bring the copper. I don't need that kind of trouble.

Last edited by Rusty Nuts; 06-05-2016 at 09:20 PM.