Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

engine paint options

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:31 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
Default engine paint options

ok i searched and didnt find anything helpful for me.

what i want to know is what engine paint you guys have used in the past and what has held up the best.
i am not building a show queen but i want it to look good.

i have read several options...
  • rattle can high temp in both duplicolor and vht
  • tractor paint
  • eastwood brush on paint
  • and so on.....

i know several guys around here have recently been doing engine swaps and builds....what have you used??

last time i did an engine paint job was about 20 years ago....it held up but faded after a couple of years of only summer driving.

any help is appreciated....thanks.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:29 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

No takers??
Someone around here must have painted an engine or two

Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 PM
BF Veteran

ok,
i hate to bump a sleeping zombie...but anyone?
i am looking at three options.
eastwood engine paint kit

Eastwood Engine Painting Kit
por-15 engine kit

ENGINE PAINTING KIT-POR-15 Inc.

and rattle can paint.

i did a rattle can engine job about 20 years ago...the paint held but faded after about a year. now granted i am not building a show car but still want something that looks good.

any ideas anyone?

Old 06-25-2012, 07:04 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

I bought a can of this to paint my intake tube when it comes in tomorrow or Wednesday. It seems like a solid product for anything under the hood. Just sayin...

Old 06-25-2012, 07:36 PM
BF Veteran

Yeah...thats what i have used in the past.
Just wanted it to look good for awhile.
I know that painting the headers is a waste of time.
Like i said though...that was 20 years ago...i am sure paint has gotten better...its just been a long time and i wanted to know what is getting good results now.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 PM
BF Veteran

doubled down by accident

Last edited by warthogdriver; 06-26-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:05 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Is the engine going to be out & disassembled? A company next door does powder coating & they have a high temp. (1200F) powder coating that they use on headers.
Any color you want as long as it's black - ala Henry Ford lol

Old 06-26-2012, 05:08 PM
BF Veteran

the engine is on a stand right now...i have it assembled with the exception of upper intake.
and headers, pulleys and such.

i should have mentioned the budget factor is a player to...trying to get the job done to get my stang back on the road...ohhhh so close

Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

I just used that cheap spray Dupli-color stuff when I had the motor hanging to put in the Blazer (mainly for easier leak-watch, and I had the can in my toolbox)
Name:  39f74496.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  83.6 KB
It's not exactly been a huge time frame but hasn't burnt or flaked off yet and about all the prep I did was degreaser and pressure wash the day before. (and no leaks!)

Last edited by nunya; 06-26-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I use dupicolor and its held up pretty good for the last year. Rustoluem bbq paint on the headers and its still looking good.

Vht imho is crap and I will never waste money on it again.

As for ceramic coating. Its a spray on finish like paint. Or you can dip it in a vat. I use an airbrush for it so I don't have to have 80 gallon tank for full length headers. You then have to bake it like powdercoating. If you do the same with the bbq paint it holds up just as well. If eastwoods carries something you can find it elsewhere without their huge mark up.

Quick Reply: engine paint options