Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Fog light wiring (firewall penetration)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 10:21 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road
Default Fog light wiring (firewall penetration)

Anyone have offroad lights or running lights installed? My running lights are wired strait into the headlights, and Im looking at wiring them to an interior switch so I can cut them on and off at will. First of all I'll need a relay and a switch I know that much, but where can I run the wires throught the firewall on the drivers side?

Old 06-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Fog light wiring (firewall penetration)

you can run it straight in with the main harness. look under the drivers side, find the main harness coming through the firewall. gently poke a screwdriver (off to one side of the grommet) through and viola!

here is a diagram for ya
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...;KW=fog+lights+

Old 06-10-2007, 03:21 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Most cheapy kits don't even have relays, they've got a switch that's good for 20 amps...

I prefer relays myself, though... They're really easy to install, it's just a matter of running the wires, lol.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:59 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

The driving lights I'mthinking about getting are some Hella Optilux angel eyesto match my headlights and they will go in the place of my Ioun halogens I have currently.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:40 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

I am wanting to do the same thing, except I dont care about them turning on or off with high beams and what not cause I dont know of any laws in WI or MI about that. I just want straight control from a switch. Do I still need a relay for this? I already have a switch and the lights and wire, just need to know how to hook them up right, as stated above.

The switch I have can be located HERE
The lights I have are THESE, I still have them from my last car, which were wired in replacment of the stock lights.

Any knowledge of laws in WI or MI, input,and or wiring diagrams would be appreciated. Also anyone know of where I could get mounting brakets for them to mount right under the lip of the front grille, on top of the bumper, like using the bolt I see on each side just behind the grille ontop the bumper, so that I dont have to drill holes or rely on adhesive?

Thanks for the help.

-Lenny

Old 06-14-2007, 11:30 PM
Starting Member
viper4559 is an unknown quantity at this point

What about hooking it up to the stock driving light switch? With those bumber lights you probably couldn't hook up the stock driving bulb, or at least I know I was not able to when I purchased mine (I have the chrome though). I doubt you can use the same bulb housing however you can cut that off and use the wires. That way it is already pre-run and the switch is already installed.

That is what i am planning on doing, like I said when I got my new headlights and bumber lights I could not put the stock driving light back in as there was no cutout. So I taped up the ends and the stock switch is no use. Eventually (quit one job to start another) I will connect those to the stock driving light switch. Just a thought.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:23 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Here is a picture of what I am trying to get at. I want to mount them where the red circles are, anyonw know how to do this, or if there is any bracketry I can buy from somewhere to be able to do this, or would this have to be a custom job?

PIC HERE

-Lenny

Old 06-15-2007, 04:11 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

That'd be a custom job... The lights should've come with self tapping screws, so you could screw them into the plasic...

As for the switch, it should be good... As long as it's rated for 20amps or higher, it won't have any issues at all.

The switch should have little pictures telling you which prong is power / ground / accessory...

Power is either in the middle or on top (you'll know, because if you hook your live power wire to the accessory prong, your status light will be on no matter what...)

I think, if I was going to use the factory switch for powering even those lights, I'd have them run to a relay instead of directly powering the lights...