Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Front bucket seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:09 AM
Starting Member
donald_archer is on a distinguished road
Default Front bucket seats

Does any one have any information on which model of front bucket seats will "bolt right in" to replace my original seats. I have come to the conclusion that this is going to be the last vehicle that I own so I would like to make some changes. I am trying to research the front ones for now but the rear ones will be done as well. My home run would be to find leather power buckets

Any info would be appreciated

Regards

Old 05-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't done it myself, but I understand the Cavalier and Sunbird, or Sunfire seats bolt up to the Blazer seat frames.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:05 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Any Blazer, Jimmy, Bravada front seats to start with

2 doors will bolt into 4 door and you'll gain the full forward tilt the 2 doors have to get into the back

you can even bolt 4 door front seats into a 2 door but it'll be hard to get into the back since the 4 door seats don't tilt very far forward

can even put the RH seat out of an S10 in it, same as the 2 door seats with the full tilt forward, but the driver seat is going to be a bench

Power from what I hear is hit and miss. Most Blazers are going to be prewired, the wire might be tucked up under the carpet.

I've put seats from a 2002 extended cab S10 into a 95 single cab S10 (my fathers truck)

I just recently put both front seats from a 2004 Blazer 2 door into my 2004 Blazer 4 door and got the forward tilt function I was talking about. Also upgraded from a full manual seat to a power seat.

Name:  IMG_20140519_193644.jpg
Views: 18158
Size:  1.70 MB

Name:  IMG_20140520_192016.jpg
Views: 13238
Size:  1.16 MB

Name:  IMG_20140520_192132-1.jpg
Views: 10105
Size:  1.70 MB

Old 05-23-2014, 10:35 AM
RedLT is on a distinguished road
Default Bucket Seats

I haven't done a seat swap on a Blazer yet (may be in my near future) but I've done numerous swaps on GM vehicles and there's a lot you can do if you are willing to root around in a u-pull-it yard and are a little creative. You can make almost anything fit, and relatively easily

The primary difficulty is that often the mounting points on the floor aren't the same for the seats you want to install vs the ones you have. The way I've usually solved this is by retaining the rails from the original seats and mounting the new seats on them. I think even if you want to go from manual to power seats you would be best off getting the power bases from a Blazer and mounting whatever seats on top of them. If there's existing wiring, that would also make connecting them a snap.

When you go to mount non-Blazer seats on them, you will probably find that the mounting points for the seat to the base doesn't line up, either. When this has happened to me (every time in the 6-7 seat swaps I've done, even though all seats were GM) you need to find or make some kind of adapters. You'll want these to be bulletproof for safety reasons. I've used 3/16" thick "gusset plates" that I was able to buy at Lowe's or other places (been a while since I last bought any). These are triangular plates with some round and obround holes in them, intended for use with grid floor systems (Unistrut and others). You could also fab something yourself.

One last thing - If you want swap 4-door seats into a 2-door, or if you don't want/need a 2-door folding seat in your 4-door, most GM manual seat back hinge brackets will interchange, especially if the car they're out of was available in 2 door and 4 door configurations. I used this to swap the seats from a '93 Cavalier wagon into an '82 Grand Prix. I swapped the brackets from the existing seats onto the (non-folding) Cavalier seats to make them fold when I put them in the 2-door Grand Prix. Looked and worked like factory since you couldn't see the gusset plates mounting them to the Grand Prix's original seat rails.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:33 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

I think I remember someone saying the seats from a Cobalt will also fit

GM seats all suck IMO, no low back support
I suspect it will be tough to find a decent set in the bone yard that arent already broke down
I have a set of Integra buckets that I plan on swapping in , wife wants heater put in them
I will be a summer project

Old 02-21-2016, 06:24 PM
Starting Member
Raynman is on a distinguished road
Default Seat mount nuts and bolt

Does anyone know the torque spec on remounting the seats? They look to be about M10, so I was thinking maybe 30ft-lbs?

Old 10-15-2023, 01:29 PM
Elpoki is on a distinguished road

Wow, excellent condition for old seats. Wish I could find a pair in this great condition.