Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Full body paint ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020 | 05:24 AM
|
Starting Member
jimmy_for_ever is on a distinguished road

Hello everybody

Finally, I take my car to paint shop for full painting and they remove all weather strip roof rack ,interior panels to paint it from inside and outside. But I have problem with front doors the passenger side was changed with 95 blazer door the hole of bolts and inside door handle have different location nothing fit properly in it. So, I buy another one from 98 blazer in junkyard and the front driver side was damaged because of my welded striker.(( Now, they ask me to fit the new door bushing and new door pin to check and adjust the gap between door and fender then remove them again and paint them but, I ask them no because the pin and bushing not manufacture to remove and fit it again)) <<<< but I am not sure if I am right or not can anyone tell me?

thank you

Old 05-07-2020 | 08:37 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

If it is done right and they are new enough, they can be taken out and reinstalled. But it is hard to get them out in one piece. The pins are inexpensive, is it not an option to replace them?

Old 05-07-2020 | 11:01 AM
|
Starting Member
Originally Posted by DonL
If it is done right and they are new enough, they can be taken out and reinstalled. But it is hard to get them out in one piece. The pins are inexpensive, is it not an option to replace them?
I know it's inexpensive but the problem I am not in USA and in my country the gm dealership not bring any parts for this car because it's old. So, I order from US and I wait until it's arrive to me.

Old 05-07-2020 | 04:33 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Oh, I see.

I've been contemplating putting a bolt cut to size with a lock nut on the end. Not sure if it would work the same....

Old 05-09-2020 | 03:14 PM
puttster will become famous soon enough

My blazer was hit by hail years ago and the clearcoat OP's repair guy used on the fenders and pillars and roof is peeling. I was looking at Plasti Dip to paint over the whole car, you don't have to sand anything except probably right at the transition, DIY, done in a few hours.
I used it on my wheels and it is holding up okay though the finished product is kind of dull. As I appreciate it I'd need maybe 4 cans per coat, wondering is anyone else has tried this.

Last edited by puttster; 05-21-2020 at 10:10 AM. Reason: pic
Old 05-13-2020 | 04:13 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

There may be a door hinge support for repairs from rockauto or so. Else a good body shop should be able to fabricate.

I had one of the hinges break upon a drivers door damage. With the body shop we cut part of the hinge, fabricated a new piece, welded in place and replaced bushings and pins with a repair set.

Old 05-21-2020 | 12:59 AM
|
Starting Member

Yesterday the door hinge bushings and pins arrive from USA and I give it to body shop and they buy also paint from PPG. When I go to my car I see that they are use too much of putty on it which will make paint crack and peeling easily but I want to know if any one is expert in painting can tell me if it is too much or not. If any one have advise about the painting just tell me.

Here in the rear right quarter panel

Old 05-21-2020 | 01:55 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Where do you think they have applied too much putty?

I see that primer has been used. Your shop is using a grey primer. Looks as if they have already sanded that as well. The right rear quarter panel has been sanded. That might be the original color. Does not seem excessive to me.

Have a look at my signature and find a thread with my Alfa Romeo restoration post #5. The yellowish specks are putty. Afterwards the primer/filler has been applied which is some 0.1 - 0.2 mm thick and uniform in appearance.

I would consider anything exceeding 1 - 2 mm (thickness) and bigger than a dish in size as being too much putty. The shop should also have the know-how which material to use to withstand the challenges of the desert heat and cold.

Old 05-21-2020 | 07:36 AM
|
Starting Member

In the right rear quarter panel they sand it then they apply gray primer and then they apply a red putty.

I have question about the hinge bushing, today they call me because the bushing I order was too small to fit in hinge hole but one of them fit on lower hing of door. The one on car was bronze and bigger but I don't know where to fit the small one and the bigger one.

The shop should also have the know-how which material to use to withstand the challenges of the desert heat and cold.<<<<<(Exactly this what I am afraid from also because in my country the temp reach 47 Celsius in summer)

This one what I have

This one what I don't have

Last edited by jimmy_for_ever; 05-21-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-04-2020 | 11:43 AM
|
Starting Member
Arrow

Hello guys

does anyone have information about the door bushing?
I order again from US the original gm bronze one for upper bushing but it's not tight enough to hold door pin the bushing (too much clearance between pin and bushing).

thanks for all

Quick Reply: Full body paint ?