Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Gauge cluster with tach for '96 Blazer

Old 12-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Beginning Member
Lidberg is on a distinguished road
Default Gauge cluster with tach for '96 Blazer

Hi there,

First time poster, long-time lurker. I spend most of my time in VW and Audi forums. I had a 2002 Jetta GLS and now I have a 2006 Audi S4 (post-deployment present to myself).

I recently acquired a '96 S-10 Blazer from my parents. My dad bought an '08 Compass and between you, me and the tree, I like the Blazer a LOT more. Even though it has 155,000 miles on it, it still runs perfectly.

Anyways, one of the few things I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a tach in the gauge cluster. Every car I've owned had a tach and I'm used to having one there, just to see how fast the engine is turning as well as making sure it's running right. Is there a cluster available for the '96 Blazer that has a tach in it? I've searched this site and Google'd it as well, but it's hard to tell who's trustworthy or not.

I figure at least one person in here has done it so I figured I'd ask here first.

.:Christian

Old 12-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to find a tach cluster and drop it in. It must be from either a '96 or '97 truck though. Things changed in '98 with the addition of a few more modules inside so I am not sure if they would be compatible.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:22 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

Like Kyle said its a drop in installation. Here is a pic of mine. Don't look at the dust on the dash.

95 to 97 will fit perfectly

Old 12-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Beginning Member

Nice job! Did you have to do anything to get the tach to work? Where did you source it? I found a site that has it for $190 http://www.everdrive.com/skus/JF/119...peedometer.htm. I thought I would hit the junkyards and try to find one.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:01 AM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

I got mine off of Ebay for about $50 IIRC. Took me all of about 30 minutes to install. To make installation easier I dropped the steering wheel down. This makes it a lot easier to remove the dash surround.

No wiring required, plug it in, replace the screws and your tach will work.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Beginning Member

That's awesome. Thanks for the info!

Old 12-14-2009, 12:30 AM
hubbmatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Swapped mine out in my '96 too. Works like a charm!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Beginning Member

Good deal. I've got one ordered. It should be here by the end of the week.

Thanks for all the input. It should be a pretty painless install. I've already had the dash apart to install my car stereo, so this shouldn't be much harder.

I did the same gauge swap in my '96 Neon way back when (when I couldn't afford anything better, haha) and I didn't have to do anything to get the tach to work. I installed the cluster and everything just worked.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Starting Member
MikeRo is on a distinguished road

HELP!!!!

So i switched mine over to one with the tach today and i am having an issue....

All of my gauges are off/inaccurate, which is no good.

Is there a way to reset them all to work?

Old 08-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Beginning Member

Are you sure it's from 95-97? I swapped mine in soon after my original post and it works perfectly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauge cluster with tach for '96 Blazer