Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Good for dulled out paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 03:13 AM
AtreyuManiac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good for dulled out paint

Tips on how to maked dull paint look shiny or just better than before?

Special waxes for cars in which the clear coat has gone away?

TIPS TRICKS?

anything helps...

Old 12-08-2007, 03:14 AM
Jharper is infamous around these partsJharper is infamous around these parts
Default RE: Good for dulled out paint

Mothers Wax

Old 12-08-2007, 08:33 AM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point

if there is no clear your wasting your time. If you have clear left. buff it

Old 12-08-2007, 10:27 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Yeah you're pretty much wasting your time.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:39 PM
sdm1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

there are ways to properly bring back the color of the paint, even without the clearcoat left. i have a '78 trans am, and i do this occassionally. however, i'm afraid that doing it by hand will bear no results. you will have to use an orbital/rotary buffer (preferably orbital). then, you can use polish to richen the color of the paint. i have used MANY different polishes, and i can honestly say that Mother's/Meguire's 2nd Stage Polish is a good product. but, be sure that you use the Meguire's on darker paint, because the Meguire's polish is designd specifically for darker cars, and the Mother's is not.removing the oxidation/minor imperfections will yield much more prominent results when shining the paint up. for that, you can use a de-oxidizer, thenabrasive polish. remember, be sure to finish off the job with a good wax (preferably synthetic) to not only to further enhance the reflection of light, but to protect the suface so the shine lasts!

Old 12-11-2007, 02:59 PM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point

your 78 trans am is before the base coat/clear coat system came out. I think base/clear came out in 89 or somethingYour have single stage on your car. That you can bring back to a shine, but it will eventually dwendle away back to dullness. bad thing is you can only buff it so many times before you need a new paint job because every time you buff it your taking a very small amount of paint off the top.

ORIGINAL: sdm1234

there are ways to properly bring back the color of the paint, even without the clearcoat left. i have a '78 trans am, and i do this occassionally. however, i'm afraid that doing it by hand will bear no results. you will have to use an orbital/rotary buffer (preferably orbital). then, you can use polish to richen the color of the paint. i have used MANY different polishes, and i can honestly say that Mother's/Meguire's 2nd Stage Polish is a good product. but, be sure that you use the Meguire's on darker paint, because the Meguire's polish is designs specifically for darker cars, and the Mother's is not.removing the oxidation/minor imperfections will yield much more prominent results when shining the paint up. for that, you can use an abrasive polish. remember, be sure to finish off the job with a good wax (preferably synthetic) to not only to further enhance the reflection of the surrounding light, but to protect the suface so the shine lasts!

Old 12-16-2007, 11:02 PM
sdm1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I know very well my '78 has a single, base coat of laquer paint.i referred to my '78 because it does not have a clearcoat, in which the OP was talking about. also, you're confusing "buffing" with abrasive polish. buffing is what you do to wipe off cured polish/wax. way back when, Turtle Wax grew in popularity due to their polish (which was abrasive) and people loved it because it brought back the paint's original color. other manufacturers caught on and began selling similar products. and this is how the "polish is dangerous" myth began. if the abrasive polish is applied too often, then obviously, the paint fades into the very first applied coat, which naturally is dull. the same thing applies to chrome and chrome polish.

to the OP, just make sure you use microfiber cloths for buffing off the chemicals, otherwise you'll create swirl marks.