Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

grill guard

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Beginning Member
erics9971 is on a distinguished road

Okay, listen. You can buy them without all that stuff. The top bar is the only thing different.

The bars that cover the lights have 3 bolts on each side then they come out.

The "vertical Bars" aren't bars. It is a flat piece of 3/8" steel with a flat thin piece of steel at a 90 degree angle laying on top. Then a thick piece of rubber goes over the thin steel to protect the car you push. That also comes right off.

As for the "Contour..." I bought it for 50$ on craigslist. It is a 300$ grill guard with all that stuff, excluding the lights. It wasn't made for my specific car so I welded up some brackets. If you bought one for your exact car it would be more "sleek" and you could get it without the headlight bars, top bar, and rubber push pads. Those are additional options to the guard.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:38 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

The grill guard in the OP was offered as an OEM accessory option, primarily with the ZR2's. I don't remember who made them though. Westin sounds right, but I'm not sure.

I have owned both grill guards that are being argued about here. Of course there are going to be similarities, but the MAJOR difference that you're both missing is the mounting point. The guard in the OP mounts inside the frame, going through the bumper holes, and replacing the factory tow hooks. The guard style posted by eric9971 mounts to the bottom of the frame to the same tow hook points, but passing under the bumper. There are other differences too. The OP guard is a 3 main piece unit where the wings that go around the lights can be removed with a few bolts. The wings on the guard posted by eric9971 are part of the whole unit and are not removeable. As eric9971 pointed out his style guard has the rubber push guard on the main frame, while the OP's guard does not, and it is not possible to add it without some hefty modifications. eric9971's guard may not have been specifically made for his truck but there are many manufacturers that do make them. Hunter was a very popular brand for that style guard.

Last edited by El_Beautor; 04-24-2014 at 10:40 AM.