Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

H I R BULBS

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:30 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default H I R BULBS

has anyone ever heard of HIR? Halogen Infrared Reflecting. i found out about them after reading one of those ebay buyers guides that warns people of scams (after i bought my $4.00 "xenon" bulbs )

they are meant for a 9005 or 9006 replacement and according to their claim:
...reflects a portion of the infrared energy emitted by the filament back onto the filament, causing it to glow brighter and emit more light from the uncoated forward portion of the bulb. Although the filament gets hotter, the glass does not.
i have never heard of this technology and was just wanting to see if anyone has any input

EBAY LINK

Old 11-01-2007, 03:03 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: H I R BULBS

That's what I've got in my highbeams right now, actually...

They're not too bad... I went from stockers, I think...

They might've been Sylvania's, but I don't know if they were SilverStars or not, since they didn't say...

They do better than what I had in there, not by a large margin, but there was a noticable difference... Nothing major, but it was there...

Old 11-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

The only company that makes true HIR's is Toshiba. If you bought anything other than that, you don't have HIR's. They're $25 a bulb and are SUPER bright. Way more than stock.

Read about them here:

http://hirheadlights.com/

Old 11-01-2007, 09:04 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

the ones in that ebay link were from toshiba. are they really 75% as bright as HIDs? the guy is selling them for $25 and $6 shipping...

will they be ok in the stock housings?

the ones I bought said 'Xenon Gas headights!!' they were $4.50 plus shipping... I highly doubt they are xenon filled but for $10.00 total, I figured I would give them a shot.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:24 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: Jigg

The only company that makes true HIR's is Toshiba. If you bought anything other than that, you don't have HIR's. They're $25 a bulb and are SUPER bright. Way more than stock.

Read about them here:

http://hirheadlights.com/
Yep, those are what I have... Since it didn't make a major difference over what I had, I'm guessing my truck had silverstars in it...

Old 11-01-2007, 07:51 PM
Mr Blazer LT is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: otnietdehoooo

the ones in that ebay link were from toshiba. are they really 75% as bright as HIDs? the guy is selling them for $25 and $6 shipping...

will they be ok in the stock housings?

the ones I bought said 'Xenon Gas headights!!' they were $4.50 plus shipping... I highly doubt they are xenon filled but for $10.00 total, I figured I would give them a shot.
If they're the bulb type your truck needs (probably 9005 & 9006) you are good.

Those ebay bulbs suck. They do look good on a Blazer (especially if its blue like mine) but do nothing as far as helping you see. If anything, get them for low beam. DO NOT BUY CHEAP XENON BULBS FOR YOUR HIGH BEAM! They are terrible. These bulbs burn at 6000k or so at least, which is a not so great kelvin temperature figure for usable light output, the light that helps you see at night.

I live in Colorado where you will see all the stupid animals and vermin hang around the highway at night so having good bulbs is important for me. I used to have crap ebay bulbs and they are inferior products. I am lucky I haven't hit any deer or anything from such a loss of light output. After I learned about all this color temperature stuff I invested ina set of PIAA Xtreme White bulbs for Hi/DRL (burns at 4k, excellent long distance visibility at night, nice white light) and a set of PIAA SuperPlasmas (burns around 5100k typically the legal limit, gives asmidgeof the purple/blue seen in real HID but nothing significant, good bulbs for a mix of terrific light output with the "simulated" HID look.). Yes, they're pricey, but they are warrantied fora year.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:23 PM
BF Veteran

thanks blazer lt.

i havent bought the HIR's but i think i might in about a month or so...

i know that the cheap ebay "HID look" bulbs are pretty much trash but i still figured i would try them out. i ordered the 9006 bulb and it looks to me to be a regular halogen bulb that was painted blue. ill see how they turn out and ill try to post pics of the differences between my current silverstars and my soon-to-be "HID's" ill do my best to take (unbiased) pics from the same angle and at night so that those of you who are curious can decide if you like the look of them

EDIT: THESE are the ones i purchased

Old 11-01-2007, 09:42 PM
Mr Blazer LT is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, its all about the "looks" when it comes to these bulbs, best for show cars or vehicles who don't need their headlamps to actually help see.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:39 PM
BF Veteran

well, my "xenon" headlights came in today. they look exactly like a regular 9006 bulb that is painted blue. and the box says, "offroad use only."

i will try my best to get pictures uploaded later tonight and ill let yall know if they really are any brighter

[hr]

EDIT: alright, well i cant get my pics to load from the memory card. it says file not supported on the 2 pics i took of the headlights even though it reads all of the other pictures so once i get them working, i will post a pic or two

as it turns out, the cheap "xenon" bulbs are much more white than my current silverstars. however they are not anywhere near as bright. and im not looking for white or blue, im looking for something that lights up the road very well.

from what i have read on the ebay buyers guides is that the blue coating on the fake HIDlights is meant to block out yellow light which in turn makes the light whiter. however the blue coating also seems to block out a lot of the white light too because the cheaps ones are very dim. when i had the cheap bulbs in, my factory fogs were much brighter than the lowbeams. when i have silverstars in, the factory fogs are much dimmer than lowbeams

it is hard to see in the pictures i took because i was parked on my driveway and the light was reflecting off of my garage door so the camera just took in a big blur of light. but as soon as i can get my camera to upload the pics i will post some for you to see

i think im gonna try the HIR bulbs in a month or two