Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Headlight change over

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Guardian1014 is on a distinguished road
Default Headlight change over

I was reading the threads on the 98+ headlight conversion. I dont want to go that far. I have a 97 blazer 2 door with the sunk in sealed beam headlights. I would prefer the flush headlights you see on the 4 door model. Can i do this? What all would i need to change it over? I didnt see anything about converting the headlights this way.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Beginning Member
jasond is an unknown quantity at this point

You will need the composite assemblies and the brackets they attach to, and you will need the Blazer composite grille. Both can be found fairly easily on eBay. You will also need the pigtails for the headlight bulbs.

95 96 97 Chevy S10 Blazer Comp Black Grille Headlight | eBay

Old 05-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Beginning Member
jasond is an unknown quantity at this point

HOW-TO: Sealed to Composite Conversion

Ok first of all you will need this:

(1) 94-97 Blazer Composite Grille
(1) 94-97 Blazer Composite Headlight RH (With Bracket)
(1) 94-97 Blazer Composite Headlight LH (With Bracket)
(2) 9006 Headlight Bulbs
(2) 9005 Headlight Bulbs
(2) 9006 Headlight Pigtails
(2) 9005 Headlight Pigtails

Ok, to begin the installation you will need a ratchet set, a test light, a wire cutter/stripper, and some electrical tape. Also this is optional but I used heat shrink tube on my wires to cover them up from weather, just a suggestion.

Step 1:
-- Pop your hood, and begin unbolting the grille on your truck there is 4 bolts along the top, and 2 in the middle of the grille.
-- Once these are removed just pull your grille off there is a row of clamps at the bottom so they will just pop out, Undo the lights that plug into the back of your corner lenses and remove the grille completely.

Step 2:
-- Now you should have 4 bolts holding each sealed beam headlight bracket onto the core support, unbolt these lights and pull the plug off of the back of them (The whole thing comes off, keep the bolts from everything you will need them).

-- Now that the lights are off you should have a plug carefully take the wire cutters and carefully cut the plug off so you just have bare wires (Be careful so that they do not touch each other best to keep your lights off right now) now on the left side there should be 3 wires and on the right side there should be 5 wires.

-- Take your test light and ground it off, now go turn on your low beams and see which wire is hot (This is your low beam wire), then do the same for your high beams (This is your high beam wire), [A side note on your drivers side you will have 2 wires the same color for your low beams and 2 wires of the same color for your high beams just connect the colors together, you will have a temporary light outage until you connect the colors back together so don't freak out if your lights don't come on after you cut your drivers side wires.] The extra wire is your ground wire.

-- Now that you know which wire is which take your pigtails and connect the 9006 Pigtail to the low beam wire and to the ground wire, and connect the 9005 Pigtail to the high beam wire and to the ground wire. Do this for both sides and tape the connections up.

Step 3:
-- Now that you have rewired your lights for 9005 and 9006 bulbs you are ready to put on your new lights, Remove the brackets off of the headlights and insert your bulbs 9006 in top slot and 9005 in the bottom slot, (Be sure that your connect holes on the bulbs face to the inside of the truck) Connect your lights up, and your corner light, Replace your brackets and then take the bolts you took from the sealed headlight brackets and bolt the new brackets onto the core support. (4 bolts, If you have to use a tie strap)

-- Once you have both lights connected and mounted get your old grille and take the clamps off the bottom and put them on the new one (They are pretty hard to get off so pull hard) Once that is done snap the new grille on and then put in the bolts that you took from the old grille and then check is your low beams, high beams and corners are working correct.

If everything works correct you have completed your conversion to composite lights. If not then check your wiring again, If you have questions let me know I will try to help you.