Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Headlight swap... What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:58 PM
turboxb9s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Headlight swap... What do I need?

Thats what I meant. Finding a connector that fits onto the H1 bulb is easy (available after market) but creating a weatherproof way of inserting the H1 bulb into the housing (light fixture) designed for a completely differint type of bulb/connector would the time consuming part. Then with all that done like you said the reflector of the blinker light might not make the H1 bright enough to be an effective fog light. I might give it a shot just the same

Old 03-26-2007, 12:02 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

You can always test it out on a junker housing, and cut off the part that the signal socket screws into, and just hold the bulb there, and shine it at a wall at night or something, lol.

I don't know how well a signal lens would work, either... that's a pretty diffused light pattern...

Old 03-26-2007, 01:36 AM
Starting Member
96Ls4Dr is an unknown quantity at this point

couldn't you use the old bumperlights as-is?
I mean just leave them the way they are?
Mine are clear lenses anyway could I just put brighter white lights and use them as fogs?

Old 03-26-2007, 09:09 PM

If you convert your trucks front to the 98 style those bulbs will have to be moved up to the lights that are just below the 98-2000 style headlights therefor leaving them empty of wiring or anything.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:10 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

The old style lights won't fit in the '98+ grill, so they could stay there just fine...

Old 03-27-2007, 09:05 AM

Yes. The housings are not interchangeable. The bulbs are as long as they are not sealed beam style headlights. the whole front face would be removed anyway but theres no reason to remove the lights that are in the front bumper which I just found out are clear anyway. I thought they were amber

Old 04-02-2007, 12:52 AM
hockeykid15 is an unknown quantity at this point

would it be very hard to put the 98+ bumper on along with the head lighs and grille? is it a direct swap or is there modifying that needs to be done? that way i wouldnt have to worry about the turn signals.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:47 PM

The 98 bumper can probably be bolted right on but I can't say for sure cause I never even looked into it. Having the blinker lenses there never bothered me enough to think about it.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:12 PM
hockeykid15 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok good to know. did you have to seal off the backs on the lenses or is there a way to just take the backs off and levae the lenses there?

Old 04-03-2007, 09:18 PM

the lens is part of the housing which isn't needed once you install the newer 98 light setup. you just remove the lightbulb socket from the back of the lens/housing and move up to just below the headlights in the 98. The wiring will need to be rerouted ofcourse but it will reach.

Quick Reply: Headlight swap... What do I need?