Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Headliner removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 12:19 PM
Starting Member
Jonas is on a distinguished road
Default Headliner removal

Is it possible to remove the ceiling without having to cut in it or tear it down in a 97 blazer?

Old 01-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Starting Member
Default bump

The reason im asking is if you can check if the have the cables for the overhead console up there...
Anyway i tool some pictures today, i dont think itl fit in my car... i think the sunroof might be aftermarket ?

Old 01-16-2010, 02:10 PM
96Blazernut is an unknown quantity at this point

Jonas if your going to put in the overhead console you are going to need to short one that GM made for the Blazers with factory sunroofs. As to your question yes you can remove the headliner without cutting it. I removed mine this summer to install the overhead console. You will need the torx star bits to remove the seat belts. Remove the chicken handles being careful not to break the clips on them. Remove the rear surround by the rear hatch. Remove the sun visors and it will come out easily. There are several articles with the wiring harness connections in them. Good Luck!

Old 01-16-2010, 02:28 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

I just pulled mine a few weeks ago to wire in an overhead console. It came out pretty easy. I think its a t50 torx bit for the seat belts. Mine didnt have any of the wiring though but they seem pretty easy to wire in. I still need the compass module and the mount for above the headliner for mine. I might do a write up on it when its done.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 96Blazernut
Jonas if your going to put in the overhead console you are going to need to short one that GM made for the Blazers with factory sunroofs. As to your question yes you can remove the headliner without cutting it. I removed mine this summer to install the overhead console. You will need the torx star bits to remove the seat belts. Remove the chicken handles being careful not to break the clips on them. Remove the rear surround by the rear hatch. Remove the sun visors and it will come out easily. There are several articles with the wiring harness connections in them. Good Luck!
Thanks alot for your reply, it clarified alot of things for me
I live in sweeden and these trucks arent as common here as in the us or ca.. So finding one on the boneyard is nothing that im counting on...
Im currently looking at eBay trying to find a matching console for my truck, and as you said 96Blazernut it has to be a small one

What im currently watching is this:
http://global.ebay.com/Chevrolet_Bla...537814816/item

But i think it might be to large? Are there smaller ones then the one above?

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
I just pulled mine a few weeks ago to wire in an overhead console. It came out pretty easy. I think its a t50 torx bit for the seat belts. Mine didnt have any of the wiring though but they seem pretty easy to wire in. I still need the compass module and the mount for above the headliner for mine. I might do a write up on it when its done.
Hmmmm evil, I was under the impression that all trucks hade the same wires already up there... I guess removing the roof is a good start before i decide to buy a console.

Thanks for replying

Br Jonas

Last edited by Jonas; 01-16-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:47 PM

Jonas I looked at that one on ebay and it will fit. Remove your front grill or look inside it with a flashlight and see if it has the dummy connector for the temperature unit. GM put a dummy connector on the hood support, if it has it and the 2 wires coming out of it you have half the battle won. My Blazer came with most of the wiring.

Now the fun part. If at all possible get the unit with the full harness. If not you are going to have to run wires. The connector for the overhead console is behind the dash. The wires on my Blazer ran up the left hand side A Pillar.

You will have to drop the steering wheel and take the dash loose and roll it forward to get to the connector. I'm assuming your a RHD? My connector for this was on the left hand side behind the dash. I could see it but not get to it. So I had to take the dash loose. Plan on spending 1-2 days on this if your not familiar with how the dash comes apart.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Starting Member

Jonas I looked at that one on ebay and it will fit. Remove your front grill or look inside it with a flashlight and see if it has the dummy connector for the temperature unit. GM put a dummy connector on the hood support, if it has it and the 2 wires coming out of it you have half the battle won. My Blazer came with most of the wiring.

Now the fun part. If at all possible get the unit with the full harness. If not you are going to have to run wires. The connector for the overhead console is behind the dash. The wires on my Blazer ran up the left hand side A Pillar.

You will have to drop the steering wheel and take the dash loose and roll it forward to get to the connector. I'm assuming your a RHD? My connector for this was on the left hand side behind the dash. I could see it but not get to it. So I had to take the dash loose. Plan on spending 1-2 days on this if your not familiar with how the dash comes apart.
My car has the steering wheel on the left side
Hehe its funny that you mention to take the grill out.. I was going to change the lamps today and i had to give up because the grill just wouldnt come off, felt like it was stuck somwhere under the headlights.
The owners manual wasn't that much of a help either, since the instructions in the manual were impossible to follow... I think the previuos owner has done something to my lights? its a really late 97 month 12. so i guess it was somwhere in the big change of appearence in 98 ?

This is what my headlights look like

This is what a 95er looks like, notice the diffrence in the lighting.

So if anyone has a nice tip on how to remove the grill, I would really love to hear about it ( yes I did atleast remove the screws that was visible).

BR Jonas

Old 01-16-2010, 03:10 PM

I had to go out and look at my 96 to see where they were. LOL Remove the 4 screws (7MM) on the top and the 2 in the middle of the grill by the bowtie. Dont forget the plastic piece by the hood latch. The bottom is held in by clips so carefully pull out the grill and thats it. Then you can see the connector for the temp unit.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Starting Member

I had to go out and look at my 96 to see where they were. LOL Remove the 4 screws (7MM) on the top and the 2 in the middle of the grill by the bowtie. Dont forget the plastic piece by the hood latch. The bottom is held in by clips so carefully pull out the grill and thats it. Then you can see the connector for the temp unit.
) the 4 on the top and 2 in the grill were removed but i didnt feel like pulling anymore, it felt like something would break.. is it just to pull or can i push the clips open somehow?

Old 01-16-2010, 04:29 PM

Just pull hard on it. If they haven't been off in a while they are hard to remove.