Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

How to paint bumper ends

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 10:00 AM
jimbob533 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to paint bumper ends

I have a 1996 s10 blazer. Replacing rear bumper and rr bumper end cap , hit in parking lot, I ordered replacement and it is blackplastic and the left end cap in a black light gray. Was thinking of painting the new RR plastic and the old LR with mar-hyde bumper black but wanted advise on yes orno and how to if yes. Other option would be to buy a matching LF black plastic for install but should this black plastic be painted or just put on the way it is. The new bumper replacement is painted black. The replacment end pieces were made in taiwan and are black plastic all the way through. If paint do you lightly sand or just clean and spray. Thanks jimbob

Old 10-07-2007, 11:25 AM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How to paint bumper ends

get a scuff pad, scuff em up clean themand shoot em

Old 10-07-2007, 06:25 PM
bubba181x1 is an unknown quantity at this point

yoh jimbob, sand it with 220 paper prime it and use your marahyde paint if you don't sand it it won't stick. will peal off. good luck bubba

Old 10-09-2007, 04:05 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

the best finish comes from the best prep do what the others said and sand it so its nice and scuffed up to create a good paintable surface but primer it first then sand that then paint it with the effort put into preping it will last for a long time.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:56 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: thegr81

the best finish comes from the best prep do what the others said and sand it so its nice and scuffed up to create a good paintable surface but primer it first then sand that then paint it with the effort put into preping it will last for a long time.
I'm reviving this thread, because I have the same problem. Everything on the body looks good except for the scratches on the rear bumper. Stupid me bought two bumper ends from a sleazy Ebay vendor that sent non-matching parts, so I'm starting from scratch (no pun intended). I'm going to just paint the old ones, since they're a better quality than the new ones. Argh.

Is it better to sand by hand, or should I use a drill attachment? When you say "prime," what does that mean? After I've sanded down the surface, is this something I have to spray on first, before I spray on the paint? Should the primer dry before I spray on the paint, or does the paint go on while the primer is still wet? More detail, please.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 PM
chevcamls1 is an unknown quantity at this point

i worked in a body shop that has to be scuffed up

Old 01-08-2008, 12:44 AM

ORIGINAL: chevcamls1

i worked in a body shop that has to be scuffed up
Yeah, I know...but I needed more detail! I'm just a stickler for doing things right the first time. I don't like to cut corners and I try to get as much information as possible from the professionals before trying it myself.

By the way, I saw the pix of your truck. I had actually seen a similar color scheme on an S-10 pickup at a gas station a few months ago and thought about getting that done on my truck -- but since you beat me to it, now I have to think of something else! Looks great! I guess I could keep the same colors but use a different pattern -- although your shade of red is a little orangier than mine.

So do you think you could please scroll up and answer each of my questions? Thanks for the help!

Old 01-08-2008, 06:18 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: Psychropod

ORIGINAL: thegr81

I'm reviving this thread, because I have the same problem. Everything on the body looks good except for the scratches on the rear bumper. Stupid me bought two bumper ends from a sleazy Ebay vendor that sent non-matching parts, so I'm starting from scratch (no pun intended). I'm going to just paint the old ones, since they're a better quality than the new ones. Argh.

Is it better to sand by hand, or should I use a drill attachment? When you say "prime," what does that mean? After I've sanded down the surface, is this something I have to spray on first, before I spray on the paint? Should the primer dry before I spray on the paint, or does the paint go on while the primer is still wet? More detail, please.

Do not use a drill atatchment for sanding or scuffing!! You want to sand by hand for the smoothest surface possible or any paint will show imperfections. The parts that you got if they are painted at all or have clear coat on them you want to sand that off by hand make sure the surface to be painted is scuffed really well. After you scuffed and preped the to be painted surface prime the parts to be painted making sure you get a even coat all over the parts. Let the primer dry thouroughly then lightly sand to scuff the primer then apply paint to parts wet sand in between coats of paint then clear!! For wet sanding make sure you get sandpaper that is ment for wet sanding and also a good grit for wet sanding I would say is 220-280 grit!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:29 AM

Thanks, thegr81! I will take your advice and post the results.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Beginning Member
zackoch is on a distinguished road

Could someone share where I can get bumper ends? My Jimmy is a 2000 and its pewter in color. If I can find a rear Drivers side bumper end I would be so happy. Otherwise both rear ends in black would be pretty slick... hope someone still knows where these can be found for a reasonable price.

Thanks !!!

Quick Reply: How to paint bumper ends