Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

How to remove dent in rear by tail light?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 08:45 PM
ludude1975 is on a distinguished road
Default How to remove dent in rear by tail light?

Hi all, newbie here. Just picked up a 99 Blazer LT for cheap and been working out all the bugs. One issue I thought would be a somewhat easy fix was a dent in front of the passengers side tail light. Turns out there is no way to " or I can't find a way to" get behind the dent to push it out. It's like boxed in there and I've tried from the inside, behind tail light, and underneath! I would try one of those goofy tricks you see with a plunger type deal or other stuff you see on youtube but it's got a good crease in it. I'm not looking for perfection just make it less obvious.

Any tricks I should know about? I'm thinking on cutting an access hole on the inside.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:20 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum.

Did you remove the trim and pull back the carpet on that side? There are a few small access holes in that area that might be able to use. Or, you can cut an access hole. It won't hurt anything. Several of us have done some cutting in that area for a mod.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Beginning Member
vracer99 is on a distinguished road

A further question to this thread. I have the same issue with my Blazer. Can anyone instruct on how to remove the inside plastic trim around the big side window so I can pull the carpet back? There are no screws so it must snap in place, but I don't want to break it trying to remove.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:22 AM
ludude1975 is on a distinguished road

Well if you have a blazer with a rear hatch instead of tailgate start by removing the lower piece that covers the carpet by the hatch strike. Then move up the side plastic towards the window. You can use a long skinny flat screw driver or pry bar and follow gently follow the plastic where the metal clips connect the plastic to the hole in the body. They pop out decently easy just not too many times. I didn't have to remove the whole piece just enough to remove carpet. There was no hole big enough to get to the crease so I ended up drilling a 3" hole with a hole saw big enough to get some body tools into. Granted it doesn't look perfect now but it don't look like a huge bowling ball sized dent any more. it's condensed down to a bit of chipped paint and some body hammer dents which could be further fixed with a little more tlc and thin layer of bondo lol.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Beginning Member
vracer99 is on a distinguished road

Thanks this helps. I wasn't sure where to start popping the trim off. Also didn't know if it was held on with metal clips or plastic. I'm sure you still have to be very careful and easy to keep from breaking the tabs or even the trim itself.