Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

I want to make a brushguard.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011 | 01:06 PM
|
Beginning Member
shelbysguns is on a distinguished road
Default I want to make a brushguard.

Like the title says, I want to make a brush guard. I'm learning to weld soon, and thought this would be a good first project to try after I get my basics down. I mainly want to make this out of 2"or maybe 1 1/2" tubing, and maybe some flat bar for light mounts or center crossbars. I want to put in some driving light mounts. My idea was to either weld nuts to the bars or maybe weld the nuts on top of short pieces of pipe to raise them up and leave room for the bolts. I want to weld bolts to the bottom of the lights, making them removable. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone have any dimensions from one they have made or even bought? Anyone who is really good at CAD or drawing could draw me up a diagram? I don't want to waste time or materials, making it more different for my meager skills. *note* I do not have at this time a tubing bender. Could I make it by using all-welded joints? Anyone done this? Thanks for anything and everything!!

Old 01-17-2011 | 01:25 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

thread it and use 45's and 90* elbows

Old 01-17-2011 | 01:34 PM
|
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by blazinloud
thread it and use 45's and 90* elbows
For the whole guard or the light mounts?

Old 01-17-2011 | 01:57 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

i was kidding, but i know what your saying, if you just cut it and weld it you cant get rounded corners. if you have tow hooks couldnt you just bolt it to there?

Old 01-17-2011 | 03:21 PM
|
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by blazinloud
i was kidding, but i know what your saying, if you just cut it and weld it you cant get rounded corners. if you have tow hooks couldnt you just bolt it to there?
I guess I could, never thought of that. I do want to keep my tow hooks, as I don't trust my welding enough to use it as a tow point. I can get some what round corners by using two 45s separated by a short piece.

On the designing aspect, having just driven around and looked at several on local trucks, I decided I want mine to be a bit different. I also came up with a good idea on how to design it. I'm going to look for a picture of a -92 front end and either print out a few copies and sharpie on them or use paint to draw it. Now I just need to find the right pics. I would go take one of mine, but I'm too lazy and the weather is all slushy.

Old 01-18-2011 | 11:39 PM
Starting Member
Murphy Mumgart is on a distinguished road

Why don't you just weld it to the frame?
That's less fabrication you need to do.

Old 01-19-2011 | 04:12 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Sounds more like you are building a bumper with a guard, no?

This is the start of mine. I'm using my 2wd as a mock up cause the sheet metal on my 4x4 is beat all to crap. The lower front edge on my other fenders is also raised up 2 inches so it won't hang down like it is in these pics. I have access to a pipe bender and will be using 1 1/2 inch pipe for grille and headlight hoops.

Also gonna be a winch mount thrown in

Old 01-20-2011 | 03:05 PM
|
Beginning Member

Kind, of, I want to avoid making a bumper if at all possible. Since I am thinking on my birthday this blazer will be gone and I will have a newer one, this and all projects are on hold.

Old 01-20-2011 | 07:24 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

why are you dumping the '92?

it sounded like you had big plans for it.

personally, i'd rather have my '92 again, instead of this '98.

Old 01-20-2011 | 07:33 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

neo71665,
bumper mock up is looking good.
what thickness steel are you going to use?

Quick Reply: I want to make a brushguard.