Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Interior fabric on ceiling of vehicle coming off

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute
Default Interior fabric on ceiling of vehicle coming off

So does anyone have any suggestions on how to re-glue fabric back onto the ceiling of my vehicle? What's happened basically is that the fabric has a big bubble on the passenger side. It is not near a seam, so I don't know if I will need to cut it open and re-glue it down, or if I can release the fabric all the way to a seam and re-glue this larger area. I'm not sure this is necessarily a good idea.

Any thoughts?

I've already read posts here suggesting to take it down a re-install the entire thing (namely, THIS THREAD), but that's just not a feasible solution for me.

I guess more of what I am asking is whether anyone knows of any kind of adhesive that will stay up, since many of them will just fall down again in a month or two.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:34 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Interior fabric on ceiling of vehicle coming off

That happened to my dad's 86, and he stapled it back up. Don't do that! It's obviously ugly. I was thinking you should slice it open and glue it that way. If you tear down the entire fabric now you have more than a bubble to re-glue. Cutting and gluing would save a lot of work, and that's how I'd do it.

My favorite glue in the world is Duco Cement glue. You could build a house with duct tape, and this stuff. What color fabric do you have? Some types of glue might seep through or even stain the fabric on a color like gray, which I think most of us have. Modeling glue is good, so is wood glue. Being that the fabric is light enough there shouldn't be much of a problem after it dries.

You can try spreading a thin layer on the fabric and ironing it out so it goes down flat and tight.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:31 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

They're all going to fall back down in a month or two...the problem is the foam backing. The foam is what breaks down, not the glue...so the current layer up there will break down soon enough after you spray glue up there, and so you're back at square one!

That's why the only real solution is to pull it down, strip the foam backing, re-apply adhesive, and re-install. For a temporary fix you can use staples, but if you don't want the stapled look, 3M super 77 spray adhesive should hold nicely for a few months...or untill that backing comes out some more [>:]. You might have to make a small hole to get a hose up under the liner, or just spray from the nearest seam.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't have said it better (well, I had the same thing typed out, but got distracted by work - damn work[:@])!

To really take care of it, you need to pull the headliner, remove the fabric, clean the fabric and remove the foam. You can reinstall new foam if you like the plush look, or just glue the fabric back down to the headliner.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:19 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

We're lucky here in Texas. There is a cottage industry among our residents from south of the border repairing headliners at fair prices and usually done quite well.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:53 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like a goodreason to install an ultrasuede headliner to me...lol.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

ORIGINAL: rriddle3

We're lucky here in Texas. There is a cottage industry among our residents from south of the border repairing headliners at fair prices and usually done quite well.
Haha, very PC I've heard that the 3M super 90 is better than the 77.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:02 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

3M 77 will let go when it gets hot, its not rated to heat. You wanna use super 90.

Take a brand new razor blade and make a slit small enough to poke the nozzle in and spray a short squirt then smooth it out. I like to let them dry for a few hours before I put them back in to make sure it sets.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:20 PM
86S10 is an unknown quantity at this point

My headliner looks as if its stretched, not just fallen down. Im not ever sure how the headliner works. Is the yellow foam backing glued to the roof, or is it just stiff and held up by the trim?