Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

LED Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:21 AM
Beginning Member
MisterBrusso is on a distinguished road
Default LED Question

so my 03 instrument cluster has bulb size 161 and is the type that it has the 2 silver tabs comin off the bulb(i believe groundin it to the circuit board that is the back of the cluster)

my question is....if i do order some LEDs for the cluster bulbs will they come with those tabs or will i have to fab some on by solder tabs to the wires...

if you've bought similar or have any info it would be GREATLY appreciated

Old 08-17-2011, 11:55 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by MisterBrusso
so my 03 instrument cluster has bulb size 161 and is the type that it has the 2 silver tabs comin off the bulb(i believe groundin it to the circuit board that is the back of the cluster)

my question is....if i do order some LEDs for the cluster bulbs will they come with those tabs or will i have to fab some on by solder tabs to the wires...

if you've bought similar or have any info it would be GREATLY appreciated
So your trying to replace the gauge cluster lights with led's?

What lights in the gauge cluster are you replacing? Are we talking an indicator light or the light for the tach and speedo and voltage?

The standard bulb now has the two prongs(tabs) coming out of the bulb? Usually they are coming out of the socket that the bulb is in not the bulb.

If so, from my experience, the metal tabs on the side of the socket that the bulb goes in is spot wielded. Now you can try to bend the connectors to get the tabs out, but I went to autozone and got 1/2 inch sockets(1/2 inch for the lights for the speedo, tach, voltage or a smaller socket for the indicators) for my led's to go in the gauge cluster. This way, it is less trouble and you have working led's instead of bending the connectors and trying to see if you can get it to work. The difference between your led's and mine are that mine are 194's(for the speedo, tach, voltage) and you are using 161's? They are both still wedge-based bulbs but the 194 has a bit more wattage for a good bit more brighter bulb.

But getting back to your point, I would go buy new sockets for your bulbs as that is what I did and they lit up right away when placed in the cluster in the car. I think the sockets are around $2.50 or $2.99 a piece.

Last edited by tibby; 08-17-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:09 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I bought a few led indicator lights (so I could see them through my gauge overlay) and they came with the tab-thingys already on them. I got mine through superbrightleds.com so maybe they are different.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Beginning Member
MisterBrusso is on a distinguished road

thank you both...ill check with superbrightled and with changin sockets and see which would be the better route for myself. ill let ya know what happens...oh and yes im lookin to change the 6 bulbs for the speedo, gas, volt, thermo, tach, and batt.