Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Metal Grille

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Metal Grille

Folks,

I'm in the process of gathering together all the parts I need to convert the front-end of my '96 Blazer to the '98-04 type. I got most of what I need, except that I am completely unsatisfied with the choice of grilles that are out there. Just about everything I see is this cheaply made plastic CRAP. Is this what the OEM grille is made out of?!?

What I want is a grille that's made out of metal. I don't care if it's aluminum, stainless steel, or chrome -- but for some reason, nobody is selling this. It's making me think I need to go into the manufacturing business myself. LOL

Does anybody know where I can get a metal grille? If I can't find one, then I'm giving up this project and keeping the existing setup. Thanks for the help.

Raphael

Old 06-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Metal Grille

The OEM grills are made out of a fiber reinforced injection molded plastic. About your only option is to fabricate one yourself...

Old 06-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

'xactly. Why exactly would you want a metal grille anyways?

Old 06-19-2007, 03:22 PM

Well...the existing grille is indeed plastic, but it still seemed to be a stronger material than what was shipped to me.

What I MAY end up doing is keeping the sealed beams and getting a phantom grille instead. They look just as cool. Still can't decide. Hmmm....

Old 06-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

Once it's mounted up, the grille is much more rigid than when it's just flopping around uninstalled...

Old 06-19-2007, 05:40 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Most trucks have plastic grilles. My old man's 1996 K1500 Silverado has a plastic grille. I believe the only Blazer that had metal grilles were the oldK5's.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:17 PM

Wow...I never woulda thunk it. You learn something new every day...

Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 AM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point

What purpose is this metal grille going to serve? Anyway, it was not and would not (for anyone else) be very cost effective to produce a metal grille. The time, material, and labor would far outweigh the profit factor.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:27 PM
BrianMichaels1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am dissatisfied with all the plastic on these Blazers. It's just that about 1 in 2,000 of us care at all that it's all plastic so the auto manufacturers think it doesn't matter. I care, and eventually I'll probably pay to have custom made metal parts such as the grille, and many many interior parts. I'm basically going to look at it as if I'm designing an interior for the 1950's and everything that should be metal will be. Not rational or cost effective I know. But I will never be selling my Blazer as long as I live. It may be on it's 8th engine and over a million miles by the time I die, and that's fine. Everything that must be replaced along the way, will be. And I'll spend 100 times less money than all the people who sell their car every few years doing so. SO, it is worth it to be to make certain things more solid for that tougher feel instead of that....plastic creakey cheap feel.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:31 PM
WhiteTie BlackJacket is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree w/ everyone else. Nothings wrong w/ the plastic grille, I mean if you take care of your ride it shouldnt matter unless you wreck it, and even then it could still jack up a metal grille. Or you could always buy a billet grille, those arent plastic are they??

Quick Reply: Metal Grille