Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Mis-Diagnosed Knock & TSB#xxxx

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:23 AM
wienerdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mis-Diagnosed Knock & TSB#xxxx

Concerning 2nd generation S10/S15.
My 99' 4x4 Jimmy has a dull knock noise that sounds like and I thoughtwas coming from the steering knuckle area and occurs or can be heard when going over small bumps. Sounds like a lose shock absorber or rubber insulator going bad which had me check out the from suspension revealing play in the ball joint sockets so I had all 4 of them replaced with TRW parts. They didn't have MOOG.
A buddy provided me with:
TSB #01-08-63-001. that acknowledges & suggests this knock may be Excessive clearance at the hood hinge attaching bolt that may cause excessive clearance allowing the hinge to make contact with the hinge bracket during side to side vehicle motion.
I havn't looked at it yet but it makes sense and
requires a pair of spring washers pn12383460 for $4.01
and can probably be had from hardware store for a lot less.

Has anyone else experienced this dull knock or tried the spring washer fix?
What'dya think?

Thanks
Angelo in Joliet, IL.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:06 AM
wienerdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Mis-Diagnosed Knock & TSB#xxxx

Nobody? Noone elses S typehas the type of noise described in my OP?
Well, in addition to replacing all 4 ball joints I replaced both front doors 4 hinge pins and 4 bushingsandchecked out the front shock absorber mounts best I could and they seem fine. Everything under myJimmy seems tight, clean and oil free.
Upon Googling the TSB #01-08-63-001 this is whatI came up with.
Clickthe video link below...

http://media.putfile.com/clunkfix
My computer has long lost its speakers so I can't hear what being said in the video.

I'm wondering if anyone else here has come across this issue and installed the spring washers, did it fix the noise?

Thanks
Angelo, Joliet, IL.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mis-Diagnosed Knock & TSB#xxxx

I do not know why this is in the Paint, Body & Interior section, but it could explain why it has gone unnoticed...

I have explained this a few times in the past (example 1, 2, 3 saving the best for last)... The washers cost a few dollars and are simple to install. If you really want to know if the hood hinges are at fault, get a rag, ball it up (not too much) and put it between the cowl and the hood. You want it to just take up the space between the cowl and the hood, not bend the hinges. Drive it around. Is the noise gone? If so, the hinges need the special washers.