Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Need advice on replacing rear windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Beginning Member
BlackBlazer04 is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice on replacing rear windows

My rear windows on my S-10 leak when it rains hard. Also the black plastic above the windows looks bad due to sunlight. It is a 2004 Blazer and this is original part.

This pic shows exactly what I need to replace:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...Picture027.jpg

Right there on the right rear, I need to replace the entire window and plastic assembly. I was told they have to be replaced together, and I will need them for both sides due to both leaking.

It is going to cost about $1000 per side, because the part itself is over $800 per side. Anyone have to replace these before? Even if I use something to plug the leaking, the plastic right above the tinted windows are faded real bad. They do not look nice and black, like in the above pic.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:29 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I'd say try to plug it, and then if it works, repaint the plastic.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:58 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

permatex flowable windshield sealant. works wonders.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Then just paint the plastic portion and you will be all done for under $30 including all necessary paint supplies

Old 06-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Then just paint the plastic portion and you will be all done for under $30 including all necessary paint supplies
That is a good, cheap idea but not only is the plastic faded from the sun, it is not smooth at all. It feels like sandpaper, looks like it needs to be sanded although it cant obviously. I think painting over this would not look that much better due to it being real bumpy.

I want the black plastic to looks nice, shiny, and smooth like that pic I posted in the first post, basically brand new looking.

Since both sides are leaking when it rains hard, and the plastic looks bad I think I may have to just replace the entire assembly (tinted glass and plastic bar). Also I noticed a few small spots on the window tint where the tint is fading a bit.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

There shouldn't be a need to replace the glass if its not cracked the leak will be coming from the seal around the window hence Rich's suggestion for the window sealer. And there isn't any reason the plastic can't be sanded smooth. Just take you time with a light grit sandpaper so you don't make any deep gouges and it should sand out nice and smooth. Then just prime it for good paint adhesion and throw a couple light coats if color on followed by a few light coats of clear and your good to go with no more leaks and fresh renewed plastics! As for the light spots in the tint just take it to a tint shop and have them throw some tint on the windows and the light spots will disappear.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:36 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Also, you are aware the plastic pieces come off the truck right?

Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rexmburns
There shouldn't be a need to replace the glass if its not cracked the leak will be coming from the seal around the window hence Rich's suggestion for the window sealer. And there isn't any reason the plastic can't be sanded smooth. Just take you time with a light grit sandpaper so you don't make any deep gouges and it should sand out nice and smooth. Then just prime it for good paint adhesion and throw a couple light coats if color on followed by a few light coats of clear and your good to go with no more leaks and fresh renewed plastics! As for the light spots in the tint just take it to a tint shop and have them throw some tint on the windows and the light spots will disappear.
The leak is coming from the plastic on the roof, I can grab it with my hand and rip the entire plastic part right off the Blazer. The windows rattle too, the whole assembly is loose due to the wearing of the plastic. It wore out pretty bad for some reason.

I could just put some sealer on the roof near the plastic to stop the leaks, but it still is beat up looking and brittle to where it can be ripped right off.

Your suggestions are great ideas, especially to save money. But as bad as the plastic is brittle and worn down, and with windows rattling on bumps, I think I am just going to replace the entire assembly on both sides. Blazer only has 76,000 miles and I plan on keeping it for a long time anyway.

I live in an apt right now, and have been put on a next in line waiting list for a garage. That way the Blazer will be out of the sun, which is what caused the major fading of the plastic anyway. It is real hot where I live in the summer, 100 degrees for 3 months straight.

I just hope I can still get these parts brand new.

Originally Posted by Thogert
On my Blazer the glass and plastic are one piece. Maybe I can rip the plastic off and try sealing new plastic parts to the current glass, but it looks like it would be better to replace the entire assembly due to the excessive wear and rattling.

Last edited by BlackBlazer04; 06-30-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:59 PM
Beginning Member
BlazerXtreme03 is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with the plastic around my rear windows on my 2003 Blazer. That black plastic soaks up the sun all day long all summer and becomes rough and pitted. Every two years or so I sand them down a bit and put a couple coats of paint on them. I wonder how long I can get away with this before the plastic starts to crumble! Too bad there isn't some after-market replacement available; not economically feasible, I suppose.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:04 PM
Beginning Member
BlazerXtreme03 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Thogert
Do you mean they can be pulled off without taking the window glass out? I thought it was all one unit. I have a 2003 Blazer Xtreme with window plastic deterioration from the sun. About every two years I have to sand and paint them. It ain't purty but it hides the little pits and roughness. I wish it was just metal and weatherstripping instead of the stupid plastic. Why does GM do things like this?

Quick Reply: Need advice on replacing rear windows