Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

need carpet help

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Banned
felonyblazer96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default need carpet help

i recently not thinking filled up a 2 gallon gas can n put it on my back seat.....and hit a curb and the gas poured all over my carpet and now my car reeks of gas fumes can some1 help me with how to get rid of that nasty smell?

Old 02-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: need carpet help

First, before using anything powered near your truck, make sure you are in a well ventilated area and that any ignition sources are as far away from the truck as possible. I know it may not be completely practical, but have it outside on a breezy day and take some degreaser and a carpet cleaner. Keep the power unit of the carpet cleaner as far away from the interior and up wind. Spray on the degreaser and scrub with a throw away brush. Then use the carpet cleaner to pull up the liquid. Repeat until all you smell is the degreaser.

Next time, buy a rubbermaid tub that fits your gas can and make sure that it is either strapped down or located somewhere that it cannot tip.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Banned

thanks swartt!!! next time i will do that, do you have any specific kinds of degreasser? and can you tell me where to find it? also any caropet cleaner will work?

Old 02-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will specifically need a degreaser to lift the gasoline from the carpet. I would start by getting some simple green concentrate (walmart in the automotive cleaners section IIRC). Mix it per the instructions on the back (probably a 5% solution to start). Have that in a spray bottle and liberally apply it to the affected area. At that concentration, you shouldn't need to test it in an inconspicuous area, but test if you want.

I use a pretty liberal concentration when I wash my shop clothes, rags, etc.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Banned

appreciate the help will let yas kno how it turns out