Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Need help removing rock chip off my trail blazer asap!!!!

Old 12-18-2013, 01:11 PM
stevenabrams123 is on a distinguished road
Question Need help removing rock chip off my trail blazer asap!!!!

Hi my name is Steven, I am new to this forum... I have a 1995 Trail Blazer S10 (WHITE) with some rock chips on the hood and bumper, I've been doing a lot of reading in the forum but cant find anything about rock chip repair... I saw a TV commercial this past Sunday on Car Crazy on the Velocity Channel for a company called EZ Chip Repair... I went to their website Ezchiprepair.com and looked around... the product looks good, so I went to google and read their reviews and they have mostly good reviews. So my question is has anyone in this forum tried this product???? I would love their feedback before I buy it... Thanks

Old 12-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I typically take it to a friend of mine that runs a body shop and have him take care of it.

The chip repairs on the market are generally for ease of use, not longevity of repair. Most of the time they will eventually show up again and have to be retreated.

The best course of action would be to clean the chips thoroughly and use some color matched touch up paint. This will last the longest, but might show up more readily than a quick chip repair product would.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:31 PM
DesertStorm is on a distinguished road

from a body shop perspective: only way to really get rid of them is to sand it down and repaint it. I havent read much on the EZ chip repair but i have seen their commercials. i dont see how it would stand up over time.

swartlkk had a good suggestion with touchup paint. most auto parts stores sell it and you will match your paint code to them. If you use the brush end and slowly build it up over time (put a little bit in the hole, let it dry, add a little bit more, let it dry, etc) until it is slightly higher than the clear coat you should can wet sand/buff it down and smooth it out and not be as noticeable unless you are really looking

Old 12-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Starting Member
kSN95 is on a distinguished road

I'd just sand it down and respray it. Done Body Work for over 2 years now and that's what I'd consider doing. I wouldn't have to worry about the chips showing up later. You'd have to blend the paint in with the panel..I hate using touch up paint.

Old 01-08-2014, 01:01 PM
stevenabrams123 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Thank You for the ideas... I did go ahead and purchased the product from Ez Chip Repair and the product works great!!! My chips are no longer visible and my car looks as good as new.. The color is the exact match as my car paint and its quick and easy to use. I am satisfied with the results.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:28 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

This is what you do (yes, I do body work, went to school for it)

Take touchup paint that matches your car paint, and mix that 4:1 (4 parts touchup paint, 1 part clear) and dab it on the chip (after its cleaned up real well with soap and water)
but a thick dab, once its dry, if its still an indent, add a bit more, to build it up, then you can just polish it out (wetsand it smooth if you want to as well)