Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Need some advice on rust/paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Beginning Member
OOPS242 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need some advice on rust/paint

I have a 95 4x4 s10 blazer(2day one you know, ya). Well i personally love this truck, but found some rust under the paint at fender wells (rear of truck on the door side)..

My questions: There is a few spot all in the same area that's rust under the paint.. In repairing this would there be a major hole there are would it be small holes where the rust is under the paint..? What I'm trying to say is if its only holes or one major rush area that as to be cut out..

Also how hard would it be to match the paint on the truck, and would it look alright with just painting parts of the truck, and not all. As i have a large scrape running down one side from responding to a med call off road..

Also i hear its hard to sand down an area to metal, and then trying to clear coat it after done.. Something about its better to just sand all the truck, and repaint/clear coat. I forgot what they said, but something about trying to get it to match or the clear coat coming off..

Any how i really need some advice... I have all the tools for the job, but not a spray gun, and would prefer to stay away from buying one.. Even though i have a air compression in the shop, just not a lot of room in there to do a good job with spray gun. (lighting etc, and work benches).

Any other places i should check for rust that you guys know blazer or bad rust areas?

Sorry if its hard to understand.. I had a very long long day, and I'm hitting the bed after posting this.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by OOPS242; 06-23-2009 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:32 AM
Beginning Member
bigschmerm is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have found some rust under the paint, just take off all the paint within 6 to 8 inches in all directions from that area "down to the metal". Then remove the rust with a high speed 90degree angle grinder with a scotch brite surface prep roloc disc "brown or red". After that rub that MF down with acetone and primer the area.
As far as trying to paint specific areas, as opposed to the whole truck. Youll never get a uniform finish unless you do the whole thing at the same time. I know thats not what you want to hear, but it will make all the diference in the world to do it right the first time. And paint aint cheap!