Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Need some TLC

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:09 PM
Beginning Member
MuTaLiZeD is on a distinguished road
Default Need some TLC

Hello all!!! Been awhile since I have posted, but im in need of some advice. Its getting ready to be fall here in MI and our good ole 99 has some surface rust showing through I want to get taken care of before the winter moisture and salt, so I have a few questions. 1) Duplicolor paint shop paint's any good? 2) If so im considering the candy red they make so how many Quarts of paint/primer/candy base/clear do you think I will need for the whole truck? Any other advice would be appreciative!

Old 09-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking from experience the DP paint shop stuff is easy to work with (the primer and clear are absolute garbage though) but it does not last for crap one summer makes it fade more than you can imagine (with 4 coats of the PS clear and then finding the shine was nothing and going over it with 5 coats of house of kolor clear to get a decent shine on it) if you do decide to use it keep in mind it is a lacquer so you will need to properly seal the factory paint to avoid the new stuff lifting.
IMO you would be much better off using a much better quality paint and getting results that last.
If cost is an issue at this point in time I recommend getting some POR-15 and coating every rust spot you see no matter how minor this will kill the rust (takes 24 hours to dry per coat 2 coat minimum is recommended) and is guaranteed for life, the difference between por and the cheaper "rust converter" options is por pulls the free water out of the rusted areas and stops it from spreading ...ever, add to that it dries almost as hard as powdercoating.
Don't mean to sound like a POR commercial but I have tried numerous other brands and none of them have given anywhere near the protection from returning rust that POR has.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Beginning Member
MuTaLiZeD is on a distinguished road

some very good info! Its muchly appreciative! If duplicolor is going to fade quite easy ide rather not go that route. What brand of automotive paint(s) do you or anyone else recommend?

Old 09-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm still fairly new to the bodywork/painting aspect of things I have only tried a few duplicolor stuff rates bottom of the list for quality, house of kolor is great but pricey, summit racing's house brand seems pretty good (and cost effective) but I cannot speak to durability as I just finished the paint job with this stuff last week, check summitracing.com for more info on this stuff look for the kit that comes with the paint, activator etc it will save you a good penny over buying it all seperate.
I have heard good things about omni brand but never tried it myself hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in.