Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

New 1st gen Soft Top

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 11:52 AM
1972 GMC Jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New 1st gen Soft Top

Hello,
My name is Michael Palmer and I am new here to this forum. I just purchased my first 1971 Jimmy and after a week of research I realized there is no manufactures producing a soft top anymore. Oh and I made an error with my user name, it should be 1971 GMC Jimmy. oopppps

I purchased this truck because I have always wanted one and never had the resources until now to get one. It needs a ton of work and I will be needing guidance as I go though fixing it up.

I live in Southern Cal, family man, married, 2 kids, my son is in his 3rd year of college and my daughter is in high school, I ride dirt bikes and have a very nice toy box trailer, my sunday car is a C5 pewter convertible and I love auto racing.

I plan on repairing all of the mechanical parts first and then a complete repaint with original aftermarket interior.

The main reason for this thread is after my research on soft tops and found a manufacturer willing to get involved and produce a new soft top. It is the Softopper company out of Boulder Co.
http://www.softopper.com/
I spoke with the owner Larry twice and he is looking for a rig to examine, and he said he would like to produce them and add to his business.

If anyone lives in the Boulder area that could help out by meeting Larry and showing him their rig it would move this forward even faster.

Many of the concerns I have read about are drilling holes, Style, having removable back windows, and Price all of which Larry understands and will accommodate.

I'm sure many of you loyal members here have had your hopes up before but this can really happen with positive feedback here and a show of hands on who is really interested.

I not a salesman for this company and I don't get any commission for my time, I just want a nice new soft top available again like anybody else would want.

Please post your thoughts and concerns here about the construction of the new top design. And take a look at there website.

Michael Palmer

Last edited by 1972 GMC Jimmy; 04-18-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:44 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

So, how 'bout posting a picture of your 1971 rig?

Old 04-18-2009, 05:22 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I just talked to my brother who owns a 72 GMC Jimmy. He has a Bestop soft top that he bought brand new about 4 years ago for $700. He said that he ordered it through http://www.4wheelparts.com/ and it was a real pain because they did not seem to know that they could even get one. Said that http://www.bestop.com/ would not sell one directly to the public. I hope this helps you out.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:41 PM
Beginning Member
TriggerCreep is on a distinguished road

Welcome!

Good to see someone working on the soft top. I don't currently own a G1, but its on a wish list!

If your efforts don't pay off, try looking at the street rod and custom shops. They're always building and designing tops for custom rigs.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:24 AM
1972 GMC Jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

I called Best Top and they will not make this top anymore.

I have lots of work to ahead of me.

Attached Thumbnails New 1st gen Soft Top-img_0175.jpg   New 1st gen Soft Top-img_0176.jpg  
Old 04-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Beginning Member
TriggerCreep is on a distinguished road

Crap! I thought I found you a source, but ..... Just noticed the RED LETTERING at the top of the webpage saying they are out of stock and looking for another supplier. Sorry!

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/softtops.htm

Last edited by TriggerCreep; 04-30-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:20 PM
KhristynnBlazer'88 is on a distinguished road

I have an '88 Blazer and I'm desperately looking for a new or used soft top (don't care whether it's a snap-on or requires drilling) and since I'm in San Diego I won't need o use it often - just need it in case! If ANYONE finds out where to buy classic Blazer soft tops, LET ME KNOW!

Old 07-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Starting Member
pilotman00 is on a distinguished road

Hello I hate to bump an old thread, but didnt want to start a new one if it would be redundant. Any updates regarding a soft top for the blazer/jimmy. I have a 70 Jimmy that has I best top I put on it about 11 years ago. Its in pretty rough shape from being in Florida and now Arizona. Looking to replace it. Thanks

Old 07-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Starting Member
Frankiesurf is on a distinguished road

If you have a boat builder or someone who repairs boats in the area, you may be able to use them. It shouldn't be much different from the canvas tops used on boats. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do it. It may be a bit expensive but maybe you could talk him into a production line and get it for a discount.

Just throwing this out there.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:36 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Frankiesurf
It may be a bit expensive but maybe you could talk him into a production line and get it for a discount.
the only way you'd get a discount, is by a royalty check......after X number of covers had been sold.

think about it............some shop is gonna give the first one off the production line, for a really good price, on the hope that they're gonna sell like hot cakes?

i doubt it.

anyone know how Micheal made out? (he's the OP)

Quick Reply: New 1st gen Soft Top