Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Overhead console

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 12:18 AM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Overhead console

Does any body know how to wire these things up in a non blazer vehicle. I bought one and I am putting it into an 84 monteSS. Its the full length console with temp, compase, and map lights.

Thanx
Jman

Old 07-20-2006, 03:04 AM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Overhead console

good luck on that.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:08 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: Jman

Does any body know how to wire these things up in a non blazer vehicle. I bought one and I am putting it into an 84 monteSS. Its the full length console with temp, compase, and map lights.

Thanx
Jman
I don't suppose that you removed it from the vehicle when you bought it?

I can't find a wiring diagram, but.... if I were doing this, I think the first thin I would do is remove the dash pad.
Then remove the trim off either the right or left front pillar, them the trim off the front of the head liner.

I'd just run a power wire from the fuse box up thru the dash and up the pillar etc to the console. Splice the wire to feed the lights and the compass.
You could probably use a console mounting screw for grounding purposes.
Temp guage??? I need to look at a diagram for that to see where the feed to the guage comes from ( if it comes from the coolant temp sensor at a lower voltage or from the computer after the sensor.

Do you know how to calibrate the compass?
once it's operational, just drive the car in a circle 3 times and it should self calibrate.

No real answers here, but maybe some helpful ideas.

By the way...do your friend think you're crazy? lol

Old 07-20-2006, 08:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: 1996BZR

good luck on that.
And the purpose of that post was?

Anyway, what year was the console taken out of and what options does it have (mpg, trip mileage, average speed, compass, temp, etc).

My best advice would be to get all of the electrical connectors with the console with about 1' of wire behind the connectors. If it's a newer console, the compass module will be in the console. There are two different consoles from the newer years. One with the full blown trip computer and one that is basically compass/temp and something else (can't remember). The full blown trip computer requires a class 2 serial bus connection to the BCM (not gonna happen in your monte) to access all of the functions.

I'll check back after work and look up all of this stuff for ya. PM me a reminder just in case.

Old 07-20-2006, 07:22 PM

Hi guys

No the Jman is not crazy, just something I want to do. I held it in place and it looks like it is made to be there. lol

A little luck! Yeah I'll prolly need it.

I removed the console from the truck myself, right down to were the wires join the main harness. The harness has plug ins for the lighted mirrors and 1 other at the main harness. The main plug in has the following wires
E=green, D=orange, C=black, B=yellow, A=white
F=black/white, G=green/black, H=grey, J=brown, K=black

I think it was a 97ish blazer or jimmy I got it from. It was partly dissmantled already. All the console has is temp and compass. Same as my 95blazer and the girlfriends 96 blazer.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So it looks like you are correct, however, I only have a partial reference to the wires you listed. Also attached are the 98 w/o trip & w/ trip schematics.

Attached Thumbnails  Overhead console-97_dic_sch.gif    Overhead console-98_dic_notrip_sch.gif    Overhead console-98_dic_trip_sch1of2.gif    Overhead console-98_dic_trip_sch2of2.gif  
Old 07-20-2006, 11:02 PM

Kyle is there a site somewhere that you got this chart from? I can't really read it that well.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:07 PM
Administrator

That's as good as it gets. Did you click on the image, then zoom in on it? IE and Firefox fit the image to the window. If you zoom in you can make things out much better.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:16 PM

ZooM, how the heck do I do that.? lol

Old 07-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Download the image and view it with whatever app you use to view photos. You should be able to zoom in on sections of the image for a better view.

Quick Reply: Overhead console