Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Overhead console

Old 07-21-2006, 07:49 PM
magtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Overhead console

i have a '97 factory service manual set, let me know if you need anything scanned. my '97 has an overhead console as well, so i might be able to help with wiring and bracket issues.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:45 PM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point

Magtec if there is anything in your manual that has to do with the wiring of the console that would be great if you could scan it. I got to custom make some new brackets to mount it to my car.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Whittaker is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

Do you know how to calibrate the compass?
once it's operational, just drive the car in a circle 3 times and it should self calibrate.
The neighbors will think you got ahold of some bad moonshine.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:03 PM

I got the console installed in the car. Just need to get it wired up and reinstall the headliner.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:10 PM

TTT

Anybody have any wiring know how with these things?

Old 07-28-2006, 03:49 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I don't know if this helps 'cause I'm not great with electrical, other than simple old stuff. Here's a diagram with the drivers information center on it.
I haven't seen the console, but I think it would be easier to put in aftermarket guages and run separate wiring to them. By this diagram and the one Kyle put up previously, it looks like the info is fed from the sensors to the computer and then to the guages.
Like I said, if you could find jobber guages that look good in the console with minimal fabrication, that might be the way to go and ultimately achieve the same effect.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/FACE8BA033AA47D0A7E63045BF68377E.gif[/IMG]

Old 12-24-2007, 08:52 AM
bawb28 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2001 Chev Blazer LT. I would like to upgrade from the compass/temp overhead console to the overhead console with the trip computer and homelink.

According to this forum, if I have the full blown trip computer, all I would need is the "a class 2 serial bus connection to the BCM", correct? Can anyone expand on this a little? I am unfortunately not very educated on vehicle wiring, etc...

The Homelink poses another problem, it looks like additional wiring is needed for that as well?

Thanks for your response.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:56 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

For the class 2 serial bus connection, if I remember right, you can just run the wire to the orange, I think, wire in the OBDII connector.

I've got an overhead console with homelink I'm gonna see about mounting in my Blazer...

But if the wiring harness isn't already there, I don't think I'm going to bother, lol.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:23 AM
bawb28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. I have a lot of questions.... The class II serial bus connection, can that be obtained from an autosalvage place or is this already in place in my vehicle? I guess before I start ripping things apart, I'd like to know what parts and supplies I need. The homelink is secondary, although I would like to get that to work. To answer you question, if your blazer is like mine, the correct wiring is not in place...

Obviously, I need a lot of help...

Thanks.

Old 07-07-2008, 07:12 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Hmmm... Late response, but that's because topic notifications weren't working well at the time...

Class 2 serial bus wire goes to the purple wire on your OBDII connector, a.k.a. pin 2.

And no, my wiring is NOT in place... VSS hunting now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overhead console