Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Overhead Console Mods anybody done some???

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Starting Member
dano440 is on a distinguished road
Default Overhead Console Mods anybody done some???

I am looking for ideas for modding the overhead console

Old 03-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Starting Member
christian1984 will become famous soon enough

You could upholster the covers of the cases, you could paint the frames of the reading lamps.
You could remove the bulb of the interior light and install LED-Panels.
An overhead display for the passengers is possible, too.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Starting Member

I was looking at the LED thing. I have two compartment that are empty and not used, I think one is for garage door opener (don't have a garage) and other not sure what it was supposed to be for (glasses??). I though someone sure come up with something cool to do with them

Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

On mine I have two high power leds as the map lights in the front and they generate a ton of heat so I put a fan in where the garage door opener is to help cool them.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:28 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

You really want to do mods, Dano? Expand your mind..
https://www.google.com/search?q=home...ght+controller
It's not just garage doors..
That is what I would do if I had the Ambition...

https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...ond-gen-69483/

Old 03-29-2012, 01:06 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Thogert
On mine I have two high power leds as the map lights in the front and they generate a ton of heat so I put a fan in where the garage door opener is to help cool them.
I have heard they generate a lot of heat, on one of the threads someone had pictures of a dome light led it look a lot brighter and whiter than a plain bulb.
but I was sure there is a trade off for that much light (heat) but being night blind brighter light is always better and dome light are not normally on very long. I am shopping for that one now i think amazon had them for $16 or something like that.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog

I did the X10 stuff about 12 years ago with the lights in my house...wife didn't like it very well, so most of that stuff got stuffed in to boxes and stuffed in a closet.
I thought maybe someone come up with some ideas like cell phone charger installed in them and you could use your Bluetooth headset to make hands free calls and it would always be charged up. or maybe a backup camera system you could flip down and backup out of the way when you are not needing it. or something like Scan-gauge mounted in one them for diagnostics. or install some kind of 2 way radio up there or maybe connection for MP3 player, rechargeable flashlight or something like that, or some kind of George Jetson devices.

I think the set to far back for a GPS to be useful (maybe the same for backup camera) I seen so really neat thing over the years done to vehicles. sometimes the younger ones come up with some really good ideas. most of mine come from necessity or by accident.

I was really surprised my wife didn't have them stuffed full of tissues and air fresheners.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Starting Member
wyzardd is on a distinguished road

When I get around to installing fog/driving/offroad lights, I would like to mount the various switches in the garage door opener compartment. But that's the best I've come up with so far.

I wear glasses and have a set of prescription sunglasses that rarely leave the Blazer, yet I still don't use the overhead glasses holder. If it was lined with clean cushioned microfibre cloth I might consider it, but it's not. And the CD holder rattles bad enough to be heard over all the other rattles if I put CD cases in there. Also have no garage, so that option is also useless to me.

Spaceship pilots always have lots of switches and buttons up there, but I can't think of anything practical to put there but the aforementioned light switches. I might have gone with blinky lights and fake controls 25 years ago, but I'm old and boring now

Old 03-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Starting Member
RetroBlazer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pettyfog

Wow, I was beginning to think everyone ignored that...