Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Painted some stuff!!! *updated*

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:51 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Painted some stuff!!!

i dont know from experience but there was a recent thread and they said that the rear window trim on 2drs is attached to the window...im sure you can paint them but you would have to mask off the rest of the truck

Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Looks good, all brand new lookin!! For the two doors no ours doesn't come off the side windows and trim are all one piece and they are riveted in!!

Old 02-04-2008, 08:50 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Dag... They have to make it hard don't they?

Old 02-04-2008, 04:14 PM
igot10pinitis is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i just looked. Its pop-riveted in.. Guess that means i gotta mask it up and do it.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:22 PM
BF Veteran

you can always get a drill bit thats the same size as the center of therivet, and drill it out. Them replace it with new rivets.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:48 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

ORIGINAL: EuroGoldLS

ORIGINAL: igot10pinitis

how does the trim around the windows come off?
The rear window panels? Just pop the back glass open and theres one screw apiece holding them on.
mine has 3 screws apiece and the shock that holds up the glass was in the way of the center screw. i guess mines a little different because i have the tailgate instead of the liftgate.

im gonna try and do this on saturday

Old 02-04-2008, 07:54 PM
navyblue_sk8er is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow man good job. You just inspired me haha. Gunna add this to my long list of things to do. My list never gets smaller only bigger, especially after joining this forum.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:11 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Looks really good Brent. I hope you don't mind me stealing your idea and adding to my list of spring mods I am going to do. My mirrors are all scratched and faded. Yours look like new and I like it.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:59 PM
WhiteTie BlackJacket is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow Ive tried everything on those friggin finishing panels...never thought about painting them. Im gonna have to do that when it warms up! Same for the mirrors...how much of a PITA are they?

Old 02-05-2008, 12:46 PM
BF Veteran

They are a pretty big pain because you have to take the door panel off to get to them. Its an even bigger pain if you drop your socket down in the door. You have to be extremely carefull that you don't break any of the plastic clips too when you are pulling off and putting putting back on the door panel.It makes it a little easier if youtake off the bezel around the door handle. There is a phillips screw that holds them on.

Painting them isn't a problem, just mask the mirror and the smooth edge around the mirror. Make sure you wash everything really good with dish washing liquid or rub them down with alcohol if you have ever put any armor-all or anything on them. With fusion, you want to apply a very thin coat at first (not thick enough to cover) and let it dry for about 10 minutes and then proceed to apply another coat and wait a few minutes, then apply a fairly thick coat to make it look smooth.Make sure you do it in a place wherelittle bugs and stuff can get on it. I had to pick a small gnat-looking thing off my panel with a pair of tweezers.Allow about 2 hours to completely dry and then stick them back on. It'll be a little harder to get back on because you have to fish the wiring back through the little hole. easiest way to do that is to tape it to a stick or a straitened coat hanger and push it through the little gap.

It will take about 4 hours to get it all done and get them back on. The finishing panels are very simple to take off and you have to slightly sand them with fine grit sandpaper because they are not textured. Be aware that you may have to remove the paint and start again if you don't get all the armor-all off. The paint will fish-eye, and if you try to apply another coat, it will then wrinkle.

I'm about to paint my wiper cowl... anyone know how the middle part comes off? I know I have to take the windsheild wipers off... I haven't looked at it much yet....

Oh yeah, Dave, I don't mind if you steal my idea.... thats why I posted it. LOL

Quick Reply: Painted some stuff!!! *updated*