Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Painting Luggage Rack Question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 06:52 AM
DiffBuster is on a distinguished road
Default Painting Luggage Rack Question.

I am going to clean up and paint my luggage rack. I would like to take it off completely before I sand it and paint it. I am wondering if there are any helpful pieces of information out there that I would need before I start to remove the rack. I see the bolts that hold it to the roof and wonder; are there nuts on the bottom side or are the bolts screwed into an insert of some kind? Also, will I need to seal the surface of the rack mount when I re-install the rack or is there a gasket underneath? I just don't want to take this off and then have trouble putting it back together. Any helpful tips here are greatly appreciated.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:35 AM
Beginning Member
Lil_J_357 is on a distinguished road

There is rubber gaskets that dont need to be changed when you take it off and put it off so youll be fine.. And there are bolts that are tack welded on the other side of the rood plating. All you have to do is unscrew the 8 T25 screws and it comes off. And when it comes off you can take it apart by looking on the bottom of the rack and on each leg that goes from side to side there is 2 screws on each side, take those off and it comes apart.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:03 AM
DiffBuster is on a distinguished road

Thanks Lil J. I'm hoping to get to it this weekend. Unfortunately, my wife's parking break is seized up and her car wouldn't move this morning. So, she has my truck and I have some work to do. Lol. Thanks for the info. It is greatly appreciate.