Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Passenger Door removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:29 PM
adanac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passenger Door removal

I need to remove my passenger door on my 93 Blazer. Do I need a special tool to press out the pins? Has anyone removed thier door(s) before that could give me some tips please. Ive got a badly damaged door skin and have a replacement doorbut am not sure how to get pins out and if they're re-useable?
Thanks Mark!

Old 06-21-2008, 04:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Passenger Door removal

I wouldn't reuse the pins with as cheap as the replacement pins/bushings are.

Basically, just remove the spring (light truck door spring compressor from Eastwood.com makes this a ton easier), then drive the pins out with a punch and a hammer. If you have air tools available, they make anvils for an air hammer that make this job even easier. You will obviously have to have the door supported somehow. The last couple sets of door pins that I replaced, I just used a floor jack and a friend to hold the door, but a door jack works wonders if you are doing it alone. If you have any body shop friends, you may be able to talk them into letting you borrow a door jack.

Of course, before you get to taking the door off, you need to disconnect all electrical wiring inside and feed it through the hole in the door so it doesn't hang you up when you go to pull the door loose.

Good luck!

Old 06-21-2008, 06:22 AM
adanac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Passenger Door removal

Thanks alot Swartlkk! The last time I removed doors it was on my 83 Olds 98 and it had bolts fastening the hinges so I would just take the whole assembly. Thanks again it's off to remove a door!
Mark.