Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Power window motor replacement any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010 | 11:48 PM
|
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default Power window motor replacement any tips?

1993 s10 blazer power windows motor replacement

So I tore apart the driver side door. The motor is gone. I notice they used rivets. Not very friendly. You guys just drill them out and re-rivet or nuts, bolts, lock washers?

Old 04-09-2010 | 11:50 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ussexplorer
1993 s10 blazer power windows motor replacement

So I tore apart the driver side door. The motor is gone. I notice they used rivets. Not very friendly. You guys just drill them out and re-rivet or nuts, bolts, lock washers?
get the correct rivets, nuts and bolts wont work because they will protrude too far IMO, i just used zip ties and have held up for more than a year...

Old 04-10-2010 | 12:07 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

the new motor should come with bolts to replace the rivets. Make sure you use loctite cause after a few months min loosened up.

also this should be in the tech section

Old 04-10-2010 | 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
the new motor should come with bolts to replace the rivets
mine didn't come with bolts or rivets and i bought it from the dealer...

Old 04-10-2010 | 12:16 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

hmm thats odd. I would just get rivets then since it will be hard to find bolts the right size that are short enough without cutting them down

Old 04-10-2010 | 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
hmm thats odd. I would just get rivets then since it will be hard to find bolts the right size that are short enough without cutting them down
or you can zip tie it ;]

Old 04-10-2010 | 12:44 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Have replaced window motors in all three S10/S15 truck, Blazer and Jimmy that I have owned. First thing, take a small punch and drive out the center of the rivet you're going to remove. Then drill out the rivet. I always go back with 1/4" bolts 1/2" lomg with nylon inserts in the nuts to mount the regulator and plate back in the vehicle. They are not too long. I put the nut on the outside because you can run into clearance problems with the regulator if you put the nut on the inside. 1/4 x 20 (coarse thread) work great.
One thing you want to do is pull the whole assembly out and then you MUST drill a hole through the regulator arm and secure it (bolt it) to the sector gear or the spring tension will let go when you remove the motor and I promise serious injury to at least your hand will occur. I like to clean everything and lube it up with grease before I reassemble it. Spray some silicone down the tracks too.
Take a look at your guides (clips) on the window. The front windows have one forward and at the bottom and the rear at the top. These are what make the travel smooth in your track.
Also check ypur roller at the end of the regulator arm that rides in the horizontal track. If it's sloppy and loose you can buy a new one from LMC Truck and rivet it in or you can replace it with a Dorman Help part - Part # 74430. Here's a link to Rock Auto Parts to see what it looks like. It's a window regulator roller. This is for a 94 but they are all the same.
https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...94%2BCHEVROLET
That's all the tips I have for you. Pick and choose and use what you like here or none of it. Just beware of the spring.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 04-10-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-11-2010 | 07:00 PM
|
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default got it in

I forgot to mention it was a junk yard pull. (it came with the truck. The owner of the truck got two) So I had the motor and the whole assembly. I had no problem replacing it. Just drilled out the old. Installed bolts and lock nuts. At first after replacement when I was rolling up the window. It would creak. So I lubed the rails and put a little more great on the working parts. After working the window up and down. Whatever was going on worked its way out. So now it goes up and down fine.

As for the back windows I have not gotten to them yet. But I find it strange they won't go up or down. But if you push the button down. Then you can push the window down. When you pull it up. Then push the button up. It is in place. I'm guessing the wheel broke or fell out of the window holder. If it fell out. I'm not sure how to get it back in. I'll find out the answer hopefully later in the week.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 04-11-2010 | 08:30 PM
Beginning Member
buck is an unknown quantity at this point

What do you use to attach the motor to the regulator? It looks like bolts will be to tight here...?

Old 04-12-2010 | 05:04 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

There are four real small screwsthat come with the moto. You use three of them with the supplied nuts after drilling out the rivets holding the motor to the regulator.

Quick Reply: Power window motor replacement any tips?