Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Q on my 03 Emergency brake release cable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 01:40 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Default Q on my 03 Emergency brake release cable?

I am in the middle of replacing my 03 Blazer two door's multifunction switch. One of the first things you remove is the two plastic panels below the steering wheel. Some call these the Hush panels. The emergency or parking brake 'Release handle' goes though the top of these two panels. The cable cannot be removed and so you drop the panel and just swing the panel to the side out of way. The brake release handle is still on the cable and attached to the top panel. Well, I am now in the stage of re assembly and the brake release handle won't release the Emergency brakes. It is as though the brake release cable is not attached to the emergency brake system. Could the release cable come off the release mechanism some how? My Blazer has rear drums. How do I get the Emerg. brakes to release so I can drive it?

Old 05-10-2015, 04:13 AM
Beginning Member
IrishRiley is on a distinguished road

I ran into the same problem after replacing my ignition switch. I have a 97 LS 4dr and it has a metal nut on the end of the sleeve, about 2 in from the end of the cable, that is held by a little plastic harness. It looks like a little white "c". No screws or anything, just make sure it's holding the metal nut and should work again. Mine was easiest with the panels still off. Hope this helped!

Old 05-11-2015, 11:11 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

IR, I had previously posted a Question and got a response with a diagram that helped me fix my problem. It was posted in the 2nd Gen. section and was entitled something like: How to re engage my Emergency Brake cable in order to release the E. brakes. Lesmor posted a diagram with the E. brake cable that connected to a 'J' hook that caused the other end to pull the Emergency brake cable attached to the rear brakes. Here is part of Lesmor's response:
See the backwards J in the lever hanging down in the closeup below? That is what the end of the cable fits in and it pulls this lever towards the rear of the car. Is your cable actually engaged properly? You can take something and pry this J-lever towards the rear of the vehicle a little and maybe your pedal will release, but don't bend it or you may be screwed in the future.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by jimspahr@msn.com; 05-11-2015 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Typo's
Old 05-12-2015, 12:10 AM
Beginning Member
IrishRiley is on a distinguished road

I owe you a thanks, I do have it hooked up wrong. I'm going to fix that first thing in the morning. Again, thanks!