Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

rally stripes - applying help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:42 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
Default rally stripes - applying help

i was thinking of getting some rally stripes for the old ride.
sim. to the extreme look i guess.

found some on ebay for 30.00

prob a third of what they would charge around here.

anyone put them on themselves?
any tips tricks out there.

thanks.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

Never done it before but I heard years ago that if you mix some dish soap(like sunlight) and water into a spray bottle and spray it right before you apply the graphics then lay them out where you want them and squeez out the water from underneath, I guess the soap in the mix is supposed to make it easier to move the graphic around without it sticking where you don't want it to.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

I actually did the ones on my '97 as for tips, make sure you measure 3-4 times before you apply the decal, I layed the hood decals down on the hood and lined them up them and layed down green masking tape to have marks for were the decasl was going to go. Aslo make sure you de-wax the areas you are going to decal so wash it then use like a medium cut cleaner then rubbing alcohol, this will ensure the paint is clean and oil free before you put the decal on. and oil or wax will give you problems with the decal later on. also don't worry if you get some bubbles in it go over the vinyl with a hair dryer on low and it will make the bubbles dissapear, and last but not least DO NOT Wash the car for about a week after you apply the decals give the adhesive a chance to bind with the paint. with a little luck it will end up like my old '97. oh and the most important tip, TAKE YOUR TIME. it took me and a friend about 6 hours to do the decaling on my old truck.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:28 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

thanks for the tips....
biohazed great job on the decals. i am guessing those are the extreme stripes.

what is the width on those they look over 12" esp. on tailgate.
how did you keep them from slipping off the tailgate while applying them?
have it open?

the weather is getting iffy here in grand ol michigan. do you know what min. temp is for applying? and what temp has to be held afterwards?

thanks again.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

it was actually an Xtreme kit i bought that was not really meant for the Blazer, but will alot of layout on the tailgate it worked great (had to cut out around the wiper stop and wiper arm). the decal just stuck right away, and you just work the decal up with a rubber squeegee. I would say for best results probably you want the temp to be 65-75ish