Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

rear bumper end tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Deezy Steez is on a distinguished road
Cool rear bumper end tail lights?

i bought my 98 ls 4dr about a month ago and since then ive completely debagged it and removed almost all of the tacky moldings that came on this year. ive been planing on removing the small molding strips on both rear bumper ends but havent done so because of the three guideholes that would be left in the bumper ends where the molding had been.

rather than filling the wholes and repainting the whole ends i thought it might be interesting to fit small red led's in the wholes and wire them so that they would come on with the brake lights.

any thoughts? other suggestions

Old 10-06-2009, 07:36 AM
blazerguy22 is an unknown quantity at this point

that wouldnt be bad but i would wire them into the brake lights and turn signals so that they flash one side or the other when you have your turn signal on>????

Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 AM

yeah of course, make them run in unisin with the brake lights, but im not sure if its quite as easy as it seams, i may have to drill through the body to run wires into the bumper from the taillights

Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 AM

it might be a neat custom look though

Old 10-06-2009, 07:48 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Hmm...interesting idea. I think if you got it wired up right it might look cool. Do you have a pic of where the holes would be? I can't picture where they would be.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

Or just replace the bumper ends with ones without the holes. If you do the lights you just need to tap in to the trailer wiring harness, no need to drill into anywhere.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

I think that would be a neat idea if done right. You could tap a small hole underneath to run the wires and just splice them in to the tailight harness.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:53 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Zeeke98
Or just replace the bumper ends with ones without the holes. If you do the lights you just need to tap in to the trailer wiring harness, no need to drill into anywhere.
Originally Posted by Unlimitedsp
I think that would be a neat idea if done right. You could tap a small hole underneath to run the wires and just splice them in to the tailight harness.
This is a good idea. It would be simple to tap into the trailer light harness, and it would work exactly how you would want it too.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:34 PM

yeah the wiring from the trailer harness is actually a perfect idea. it's hard to describe where the holes would be, but there would be one small one on either side of the rear bumper and then two facing towards the side of the truck on either side. this way i can keep the stock paint and bumper ends and save myself 100+ dollars for new bumper ends. Only other question i might have is whether there would be any legal issues with having the lights facing to the side of the truck? any thoughts?

Old 10-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

Side markers would be fine but I wouldn't hook the side ones up to the brake lights. You can use them as turn signals though. Brake lights are only supposed to be rear facing, but turn signals are required on the sides front and rear per Michigan law. I'm sure other states are similar.