Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Rear wiper motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 10:23 PM
DarkRose is on a distinguished road
Default Rear wiper motor

How hard is it to replace the rear wiper motor? Mine died last winter (I assume it was frozen stuck when I thought I had it broke free good), and it would be nice to have working again, lol.
Also, the squirter on it has never worked, the pump on the resevoir seems to work, and the hose to the first T fitting seems good, so I'm not sure where to look next, does the whole hose run under the car and easy to get to? Is there a common spot it tends to clog? I've seen what appears to be wiper fluid dripping under my rear bumper, so the problem could be the rear unit/motor itself maybe?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Pull off the arm. Pull the trim cover on the tailgate. Disconnect the electrical to the wiper motor, then unbolt the wiper motor. Not really much to it.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Pull off the arm. Pull the trim cover on the tailgate. Disconnect the electrical to the wiper motor, then unbolt the wiper motor. Not really much to it.
Right on. Is the arm bolt/nutted on or splined? The front wipers on mine are bolt/nut type.

I hadn't even cracked open my Haynes manual, because I've been incredibly disappointed with them lately on my other vehicle for lack of photos, illustrations, and general information...

Old 11-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When I had to work on the rear wiper on my old '00 Bravada, the arm had a retaining nut with a knurled tapered shaft.

I have never been satisfied with the aftermarket manuals. I purchase the factory manuals for all of my vehicles. Much better information. If you either can't find them cheap on eBay or don't have the extra coin to buy them direct from Helm Inc, AllDataDIY.com is a good alternative.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
When I had to work on the rear wiper on my old '00 Bravada, the arm had a retaining nut with a knurled tapered shaft.

I have never been satisfied with the aftermarket manuals. I purchase the factory manuals for all of my vehicles. Much better information. If you either can't find them cheap on eBay or don't have the extra coin to buy them direct from Helm Inc, AllDataDIY.com is a good alternative.
Thanks, I'll have to remember that. Got a Haynes manual for my 79 Fairmont, and I'm not at all familiar with 1-bbl carbs, and the manual doesn't have a single pic or illustration of a carburetor in it at all!! For any of the engine/carb combos...

Luckily the rebuild kit I got had all the tuning info I needed.