Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Removing factory graphics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 08:20 AM
DarkRose is on a distinguished road
Question Removing factory graphics?

Ok, here's what I've got:

I haven't even given it a good wax since I got it, because the factory graphics are starting to crack and the edges are flaking, and I'm afraid wax will get caught all over them and look like crap.

Is there an EASY way to strip them? (I've done the trim removal on an S10, and scrubbed the glue/double sided residue off for HOURS with various cleaning products made for that).

Or will waxing over them not be as much problem as I'm expecting?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:56 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

You could get a rubber eraser wheel which will take the graphics off faster than a manual method.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:35 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Hair dryer/heat gun, plastic scraper and Goo-be-gone.

Or the eraser wheel.

If you elect the eraser wheel, be careful as to not burn the clear coat. Also, plan on the paint under the decals to be much brighter than the current paint. Sun light tends to dull paint after a few years.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:38 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

those graphics are pretty sweet i mean its something different i guess

Old 10-11-2011, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by AJBert
Hair dryer/heat gun, plastic scraper and Goo-be-gone.

Or the eraser wheel.

If you elect the eraser wheel, be careful as to not burn the clear coat. Also, plan on the paint under the decals to be much brighter than the current paint. Sun light tends to dull paint after a few years.
Tried all that when I removed the trim on my S10 and had to remove the double-sided tape residue, HOURS of elbow grease, I said "never again".

I'm actually thinking of taking a much closer look at the edges, most of the flaking parts might be off by now... I normally use a cleaner wax/buff followed by plain paste wax, so was hoping using the cleaner wax with electric biffer won't catch the edges and make it look worse...

Old 10-11-2011, 07:15 AM

The eraser wheel will remove almost all of that residue if done correctly. Almost no elbow grease is needed unless you do it wrong.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:49 AM

Got a brand and part number for one of those wheels? I got something last time by 3M, but it didn't seem to work too well, but may not have been the proper wheel... I could give it a try in a small area first and see how it goes...

Old 10-12-2011, 07:21 AM

Any of them would work, just have to use it properly. I used the cheapest one I could and all I had to do around the badges was a quick soap and water wash.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 AM
gatorboy44 is on a distinguished road

I removed all the trim and graphics on my Jimmy, Plan on your hand throbbing at the end of 5 hours. But well worth it.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:27 PM

Yeah, looking around online at eraser wheels, I think what I got last time wasn't the right wheel, because all the eraser wheels I see have the ribbed or "knobbed" profile to grab the edge of the decals, the wheel I tried was just a solid smooth wheel...
Think it was similar to the 3M stripe wheel. Looks like a case of getting the right tool for the job...