Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Removing interior panels

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Starting Member
sifd4x4 is on a distinguished road
Default Removing interior panels

Well as most of you know Blazers including mine rattle and squeak pretty bad. But I have recently developed a really loud rattle in the pillar panels right behind my ear on the drivers side. So I am wondering how difficult it is to remove the large panel from the headliner down both sides of the little side window and it stops right below were the 6x9 speakers go. Its a fairly large panel and I know theres atleast one screw where the hanger hook is near the top and I think you have to remove the bolt that holds the top of the seat belt. I removed my front door panels to replace my speakers which was not too difficult but this seems trickier. So any advice on getting that panel off or a guide someone has already written?

Oh and im taking it off on both sides to put in some foam insulation sort of like dynamat to try to cut down on alot of the vibration and noise. And yes I realize this probably wont cure the whole problem but i know it will help some.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

It should just be snapped in with clips once you remove the seat belt. Just give it a good tug and it should come off. I'm not aware of any other bolts. Check inside the storage area's on either sides of the rear seats though. There may be a few bolts/screws in there. The only other thing I could think of would be the triangle window bracket. I believe it's mounted to the same piece of trim that's for the B pillars.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Starting Member

alright thanks. but first i need to find a star bit big enough for that seat belt bolt.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Here you go man...found this on GMSI (Service info). This should help you out. I was looking for the size of the torx bit you needed for the seatbelt, but found this instead . It's a little hard to see, but you can get a general idea of where they are...

Old 03-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Starting Member

ok its kinda hard to see but Im only wanting to remove the piece from the first picture. But does that show just the two bolts we already talked about and the rest of those are clips. just wanting to clarify?

Old 03-01-2010, 08:37 PM
BF Veteran

I'm assuming they are all clips. I tried zooming in to give you a better shot, but unfortunately they are terrible quality pics. Here are the steps as posting in SI for removing it:

•Remove the upper and lower front seat anchor bolts.
•Remove the rear seat belt lower anchor nut.
•Remove the assist handle.
•Remove the coat hook.
•Remove the endgate or the liftgate opening door sill trim plate.
•Fold the rear seats down.
•Remove the jack storage cover (left side only).
•Remove the screw that retains the upper body side trim body side trim panel to the vehicle (left side only).
•Remove the upper body side trim panel from the vehicle.
•Feed the seat belt through the trim panel.

Sounds like mostly clips as I expected..

Old 03-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Starting Member

ok sounds good. Anybody got an input on what kind of insulation to use?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:58 AM
BF Veteran

Dynamat? Expensive...but works well from what I hear. Spray foam is another option, but it's messy and permanent.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Starting Member

I forgot what its called but I have seen it used in construction. It looks like they took alot of different colored foam and chopped it up and then pressed it into sheets. Its not a fiberglass insulation but just feels like foam. Anybody know what im talking about?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Beginning Member
INHUMAN is on a distinguished road

im thinking of taking those things off this weekend and fixing the god awful squeaks that come out of them they drive me crazy. im thinking of using a combo of sticky 3m foam and fluid film to eliminate this ****. those panels are the biggest interior panels im aware of. simply ridiculous. i saw the same info in SI, so that should all be correct.

Last edited by INHUMAN; 03-02-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Removing interior panels