Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

removing windshield trim on first gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:32 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about
Default removing windshield trim on first gen

is it possible to remove the windshield trim on a first gen without removing the whole windshield. I was washing the truck at a coin wash with the pressure washer rinsing it, and noticed the windshield has a small leak. I already made a thread about fixing rust above the windshield that has gone below the trim a bit.
So, I could kill 2 birds with one stone if the trim will come out without removing the whole windshield.
I really do not want to have to pay a glass company to come, remove the windshield for me to fix the rust that is not far under the trim, and then come back later to put it back in. that does not sound like it would be cheap, and would run the risk of breaking the window when they are taking it out.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:02 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

It is just pushed in the wet glue when the glass is put in. It will just pull out but unless you glue it back it won't stay.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:12 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by neo71665
It is just pushed in the wet glue when the glass is put in. It will just pull out but unless you glue it back it won't stay.
PERFECT, just what i wanted to hear, Thanks. I will look up what type of glue is used to put it back in, and get this trim out and rust and leak fixed.
What a relief knowing I do not have to remove the whole windshield to get the trim out.
Thanks again

Old 02-05-2012, 01:38 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Thanks from me as well. I was also curious about this on mine.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:41 PM

Its urethane windshield glue, not cheap and if you get it on you its gotta wear off.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:03 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by neo71665
Its urethane windshield glue, not cheap and if you get it on you its gotta wear off.
Thanks, Will be cheaper than paying to have the windshield taken out and put back in

and for getting it on me, elbow length rubber gloves LMAO
Thanks again

*edit*
The urethane windshield glue is not that much, i was expecting 50 or so with the way you described, I can get 10.5oz of 3m urethane windshield adhesive for no more than 15 bucks.

Last edited by richphotos; 02-05-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:00 PM

Idk, I can get a new one installed for $150. He even comes out here and does it in my yard.

Yeah it aint gold but if you remove the glass its gonna take more than that.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:15 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

If you have full coverage. I know like in SC you get a free windshield with 0 deductible etc. Not sure if thats just in Sc.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:28 PM
BF Veteran

That is the thing, I do not want to remove the glass.
I want to just remove the trim, fix the rust that goes slightly under the windshield trim, seal up around the window and put the trim back on.

The reason i do not want to have the windshield removed is because they would come out. remove it, leave it somewhere on my property and leave, while I fix the rust, then later on in the day, or the next day, come back, put the windshield back in. seems like more of a PITA than just removing the trim and fixing the leak and rust myself.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Hmm weird. Ive had a glass put in twice,and they come out and have it all done in around a hour.

Quick Reply: removing windshield trim on first gen