Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

repaint

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:39 PM
jimmyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default repaint

i dint know if this was just something that happened to my hood or what. but the area around my windshield washer squirts has become discolored. and really bad looking. its so bad that the hood looks like it has been painted once before. has this happend to anyone else?

jimmyboy

Old 11-09-2006, 08:43 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: repaint

I can go out in the garage and check my stock hood but I dont think so.

Did you like not wax around that area or something?

Old 11-09-2006, 09:17 PM

i use the mcgruires wax and polish and it still is like that

jimmyboy

Old 11-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Starting Member
mudsliner is an unknown quantity at this point

no mine aint like that

Old 11-09-2006, 11:15 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

Before repainting, try to plish it up with something like turtle wax polishing compound or GS27..... always worth a shot... just remeber you will have to rewax afterwards...... i restored the paint on an old cadillac with these two products...... they work awesome....

Old 11-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If it has been repainted, chances are the shop did a quicky job on it and didn't get it sanded properly around the washer nozzles (that should have been removed). This didn't give the paint a good surface to adhere to. Typical repaints where the color doesn't change may often only put color where it is necessary, but may clear the whole panel. If that is the case, then you may have lost the clear coat around the washer nozzle.

Can you catch an edge of the paint with your finger nail where it goes from dull to shiny?

It is also possible that the layers of paint have started to separate and the discoloration is the presence of water between the layers...

Old 11-10-2006, 11:50 AM

no i cant get my nail under any of the discolored area. but i will try the polishing compound and see if that works. thanks

jimmyboy