Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Restoring side plastic vinyl chrome

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 03:06 PM
noobieblazer is on a distinguished road
Default Restoring side plastic vinyl chrome

hi hopefully someone will help me on this topic, so far i have touched up my blazer and resprayed all areas but i have a couple things left the first and for most that makes the blazer still look ugly no matter how shiny it is, is the fake plastic vinyl right above the black trim. i have ripped up the plastic cover for it as it was very stained and cracking also that foil sheet to give the chrome effect came off as well only on the side trims so it looks like a gray plastic lining. I am thinking about removing the whole side unless theres some way or spray that will give it a real chrome effect. is it possible to go to the junk yard and rip off some chrome siding and glue it on i havent done this before wondering if anyone had please respond to this post

Attached Thumbnails Restoring side plastic vinyl chrome-img_1189.jpg  
Old 07-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Beginning Member
devilman414 is on a distinguished road

hello there may be several ways to attack this one you could find some aftremarket crome moulding that is close to that style and replace it 2)if moulding is good shape after remoaval of clear overlay and foil removal they do make some crome style paint i belive alsacorp.com makes it it isnt cheap and there is a lot of process to appling it 3)they do make a crome machine you may find someone in yello pages they do emblems and stuff it isnt cheap also 4)did you check with gm to see if still available? thanks and good luck

Old 07-18-2010, 05:38 PM

thanks very much i called a few place not really cheap for the little small job needed gm wasnt any help what so ever go figure but i did manage to find out about the spray it dosnt seem to easy to put on as i dont think it will come out right if i do i may try the mold im still wondering if anyone has this model if it looks better with the trim off or sprayed completely black other than that thanks for the help

Old 07-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Beginning Member
mdmccurr is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got the same problem...looks like GM no longer carries the original style moulding but instead replaced it with a 2 piece. Anyone have any ideas on where you can get the original style?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:41 PM

hey md i did find a good stop but i only got a very few results with it, i when to a local junkyard and i did find some newly fake chrome side trimmings but i wanted real chrome its still on challenge on how to put it on unless i get lucky and just find an almost new side trim all together, right now though im thinking of just completly removing the side or painting it gloss black but try the junkyards they may help it did for me, other options may be too expensive, and GMs no help