Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

rocker guard, flat black or monstaliner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:42 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough
Default rocker guard, flat black or monstaliner?

Need some opinions:
I have a 99 Jimmy, factory 2 tone that I want to paint the rockers, fenders bumpers etc. I really like the looks of the monstaliner however, the body cladding/ molding can't be removed as easily on a jimmy and looks like crap. I'm afraid the roller won't be able to go over all of the rounded surfaces and look good.

I also saw another some rubberized rocker guard paint that seems to look good as well and it comes in an aerosol. A part of me almost stays, to heck with it and just flat black it but I want something that will protect it and look tough lol.

Any opinions will be much appreciated!

Old 06-12-2012, 11:51 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I used the spray bedliner on my flares...i like it.
Has the feel of 200 or so grit paper.
if you use the roll on bedliner you can always use a foam brush to jam it in the tight spots and blend it.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Good point, what brand did you use for the liner?

Old 06-12-2012, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

The monstaliner comes with a foam brush to get at and in the wierd angles and then you just go back over it with the roller for the texture. Its a pretty squishy roller so it goes around corners and angles pretty well. It actually covers really well I don't foresee you having any issues as long as you take your time with it.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:06 PM

I was hoping you would chime in rex lol. I love the look of the monstaliner. Thanks for the input, you have a badass truck!

Old 06-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the compliment! I am very happy with it its holding up great and 6 months into it its still shining like the day I put it on (when its not covered in mud that is). Like warthog said the spray on stuff seems to be gritty feeling and the monstaliner is much smoother but still textured, therefore easier to wash I would think. No need to worry about it ripping up a sponge lol! I have gone through thick brush, mud, gravel, large rocks and had some big tree branches kicked up into it and you can't even tell. I would consider the spray on stuff for your frame and fender wells though. Its way easier to just spray that underneath just to spruce everything up a bit than it would be trying to roll on the monstaliner.