Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

RUST-REMOVAL-PAINT help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Starting Member
xJakeLIKEShisBLAZERx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RUST-REMOVAL-PAINT help

should I be able to take it upon myself to sand/prime/repaint...

Rust running along the very edge of the bottom of the door, the bottom of the body(rust on door spotty and length of door)(rust on body, minimal but length of body between tires)and 2-3 half dollar sized spots on the front bumper?

careful sanding/ anti-rust primer/ and where to get the gold/silver paint for a 2000 2 door LS..?

Steps I should take?

THANKS

Old 11-03-2011, 09:55 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I'll go out on a limb here and say if you are asking if you can do it, hire somebody that knows body work. It is not a simple job of sanding down the "bumpy" areas, but grinding out all the rust.

From what you've described, you will end up with holes in the sheet metal, which will require welding in a patch. If it was just surface rust I'd say go for it. I'm guessing once you get down to clean metal you'll need a bit more body work experience than you may have.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Starting Member
Blazer_LT is on a distinguished road

i agree with aj body work like that is not something that you can do without some special training. i have been trained in collision repair and such repairs. if you post up pics we could probly access the damage and see. but if you have rust that goes all the way through the metal go to a shop and get it done. unless you know how to weld thin gauge sheet metal and have the equipment necessary to do so. if you do have a welder and know how to use it then welding sheet metal can be easy.

after that then you have plastic repair work to do which is easy enough. if you know how to putty a wall it is the same concept with plastic. you have to make sure that the surface to be repaired is clean. then sand the repaired area to get the body line and curve right. then after that you have to primer it. after primer is more sanding.

it is a process that you have to put some work into but if you know how to weld thin gauge sheet metal of have a buddy that does you can do a bulk of it and then just take it into a shop to have it painted. if you do go to a shop ask how much blending all of the repaired areas would be and also how much a full paint would be. depending on the size of the areas to be repaired it could be cheaper or a lil more to do a full paint job instead of a spot and blend.

hope this info helps you out

Old 11-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Starting Member
xJakeLIKEShisBLAZERx is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah its actually all just surface rust which I've already sand blasted...It really doesn't get further up the door than about an inch..
But yeah I'll be talkin to good ol Uncle Bob on this one, but thanks guys I was gettin ahead of myself.

Old 11-04-2011, 11:36 PM
Starting Member
Blazer_LT is on a distinguished road

lol alright. glad to know. i thought i would just show you a bulk of the process so if you went in that direction what you would be getting into and that way you could gauge if you would be in over your head lol.

glad it was just surface rust man. good luck on finishing it off.